+ Reply to Thread

Default who can tell me about rain screen mat?

I tried a couple big box stores and they didnt know what I was talking about. Cant they order it? Kid at Menards couldnt figure out how to find something in the computer that he didnt already have knowledge of.

Default Re: who can tell me about rain screen mat?

Looks like the answer is "nobody".

What is it used for?

If you are looking for a drainage material for exterior siding look for Synthetic Stucco sales in your area they will have it.
    And last call any Construction Attorney He can tell you exactly were to get it.

Google is your friend. Once you know what it is, you will know where to find it. What I saw from a very quick search was that this is some sort of stucco product, which tells me that it would be found at a stucco supply company. Since stucco isn't something that most people can do - even us pros - that also means calling stucco contractors in your area.

And, big box stores are not good for anything, let alone specialty products.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Is it possible you mean SCREED?

Screed is what we use in Calif. at the bottom of the stucco.

Available at stucco/cement supply places and HD too.

I am not sure I would call it a "mat", but several of the makers of products such as Tyvek are now making them with an embossed texture in hopes of lessening the contact between the barrier material and the siding, allowing more drainage and air flow behind the siding. It seems like a good concept, but I don't know how affective it really is.

Rain screen drainage mat is...a mat. It's used behind any breathable exterior siding like wood, stucco, or brick. It replaces furring strips often used for that but furring doesn't offer support between the strips and is typically thicker than desired. Many areas require rain screen by code and depth varies but 1/4 to 3/16 is typical.
    I thought maybe someone here had some experience with the products and could advise me of any "gotchas" or bad brands-- things I can't find with Google.