+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default air in water lines

Newbie here.

For the past few weeks we have had air in the water lines apparently. It's just a very annoying thing to hear/experience a shower sputtering, faucets do the same thing and so do toilets. The other day I heard the water softener cycle and the discharge line was blowing some air bubbles; so air apparently is getting there too.

We are on a home well system (pump is in the well head, not in the house).
    I checked today:
    leak down after water pump cuts off - ~2psi loss after 10 minutes based on the gauge on our water line between air bladder tank and well pressure solenoid
    removed well head cap and listened for water draining back into the well - didn't hear anything

Any advice on what to check or what the issue(s) could be?

Default Re: air in water lines

Go to your water heater and locate the "temperature and pressure valve", see if it's dripping and write back.

I went down and checked the Water Heater's over temperature/pressure and the valve & down pipe are dry as a bone; no drips on the floor either.

You have two check valves. One is in that coupling that holds your pressure gauge and pump switch. This one is pretty easy to change. The other is either at the top of your pump or built into the pump. It may be bad or the riser pipe from the pump to the well head has cracked. Whichever it is is allowing the water on the pump side of the pump switch to drain back, that when the air gets into the lines and is then pumped into the tank.

The short answer is that you will need your well service to come out and pull your pump and inspect the pipe and replace both check valves. If you are lucky enough to have more than one well service company in your area, then you can get quotes and compare them.

Unless you have a long run from the well head to the house you probably just have a check valve just below the pitless connector. What you described sounds more like you have a leak in the line from the well head to the house. When the pump kick on that leak will suck air into the line for a short period. Look for a wet spot in the yard.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

You may have a failure of the pressure tank. If the bladder has developed a hole, air will be introduced into the water line.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    You may have a failure of the pressure tank. If the bladder has developed a hole, air will be introduced into the water line.
    How would I check the pressure tank bladder to confirm or exempt this as the cause?

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    A hole in the bladder leads to water logging and I have never seem it cause air to be introduced into the lines.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Is it possible that the softener is introducing the air into the water lines?

I'm going to try the softener bypass tonight and see what happens.

I tried the water softener bypass last night. This morning, no sputtering in the showers and no faucet sputtering.

I am going to look into a new brine tank line and brine tank pick up tube (that's where the air check apparently is). Ours looks like the Brine_Safety_Float_Pickup_Tube_BP1002_p as shown on softenerparts.com