Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Sagging gates-help

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    A little BTW here, some people refer to this as Z bracing because it resembles the letter Z when done. The more common X bracing is used in buildings but it is not really as effective for use in a gate as a Z brace is.
    All an X bracing would do to a gate is add weight, which is what causes the problem to begin with. With the proper installation of a Z brace, no worries. I've never had a gate fail with a Z design. The key is that these braces provide compressive support, so they have to be installed so that the weight is bearing on them.
    Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    All an X bracing would do to a gate is add weight, which is what causes the problem to begin with. With the proper installation of a Z brace, no worries. I've never had a gate fail with a Z design. The key is that these braces provide compressive support, so they have to be installed so that the weight is bearing on them.
    I agree, I was just throwing out a little terminology trivia there.

...And one more thing: For gates wider than 4' I attach a wheel at the bottom of the side that opens, and that stops the gate from sagging, even years later.

I finally got around to doing this today. You wanted pics?
    OK,this is the second set of gates I worked on. I used turnbuckles from a big box store. It took me maybe 1/2 hour per gate.

This is what I started out on this AM. It took me 3 hours to disassemble the gate,square it,and install the brace. Warped pickets didn't help. The support post is not perfectly plumb,so it still had some sag. I just dropped the latch an inch or so,but it burned me out. I have NO carpentry skills! This is why I opted for turnbuckles on the next set. If you compare it to the pics I first posted though,it made a huge difference.

Last edited by 67drake; 04-28-2013 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
    This is what I started out on this AM. It took me 3 hours to disassemble the gate,square it,and install the brace. Warped pickets didn't help. The support post is not perfectly plumb,so it still had some sag. I just dropped the latch an inch or so,but it burned me out. I have NO carpentry skills! This is why I opted for turnbuckles on the next set.
    And as you can see, both methods worked perfectly. It is all about applied forces and controlling those forces. If you use a cross brace, as in your first attempt, you support it in from bottom to top, when you turned it into a suspension force, then the cable and turnbuckles are the perfect solution. Kudos for trying both methods and finding the one that suited your needs and abilities.

Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs

Thanks.
    If I would have known more when the fence was built I of coarse would have put the needed brace in there in the first place. It would have saved a lot of time.