+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Sagging gates-help

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    A little BTW here, some people refer to this as Z bracing because it resembles the letter Z when done. The more common X bracing is used in buildings but it is not really as effective for use in a gate as a Z brace is.
    All an X bracing would do to a gate is add weight, which is what causes the problem to begin with. With the proper installation of a Z brace, no worries. I've never had a gate fail with a Z design. The key is that these braces provide compressive support, so they have to be installed so that the weight is bearing on them.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    All an X bracing would do to a gate is add weight, which is what causes the problem to begin with. With the proper installation of a Z brace, no worries. I've never had a gate fail with a Z design. The key is that these braces provide compressive support, so they have to be installed so that the weight is bearing on them.
    I agree, I was just throwing out a little terminology trivia there.

...And one more thing: For gates wider than 4' I attach a wheel at the bottom of the side that opens, and that stops the gate from sagging, even years later.

I finally got around to doing this today. You wanted pics?
    OK,this is the second set of gates I worked on. I used turnbuckles from a big box store. It took me maybe 1/2 hour per gate.

This is what I started out on this AM. It took me 3 hours to disassemble the gate,square it,and install the brace. Warped pickets didn't help. The support post is not perfectly plumb,so it still had some sag. I just dropped the latch an inch or so,but it burned me out. I have NO carpentry skills! This is why I opted for turnbuckles on the next set. If you compare it to the pics I first posted though,it made a huge difference.

Last edited by 67drake; 04-28-2013 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
    This is what I started out on this AM. It took me 3 hours to disassemble the gate,square it,and install the brace. Warped pickets didn't help. The support post is not perfectly plumb,so it still had some sag. I just dropped the latch an inch or so,but it burned me out. I have NO carpentry skills! This is why I opted for turnbuckles on the next set.
    And as you can see, both methods worked perfectly. It is all about applied forces and controlling those forces. If you use a cross brace, as in your first attempt, you support it in from bottom to top, when you turned it into a suspension force, then the cable and turnbuckles are the perfect solution. Kudos for trying both methods and finding the one that suited your needs and abilities.

I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks.
    If I would have known more when the fence was built I of coarse would have put the needed brace in there in the first place. It would have saved a lot of time.