+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kitchen light

Default Kitchen light

The ballast went out on a kitchen fluorescent light, 4-48" tubes. I'm thinking of replacing it with track lighting, but I'm not sure if they would produce enough light. The kitchen is about 9'x16', this light is over the sink, a ceiling fan & light are over the table at the other end.

Looking at track lighting in a store, it doesn't seem like they produce a lot of light. It's more directed than ambient light from the fluorescent light.

Any suggestions/recommendations?
    Thanks

Default Re: Kitchen light

For good lighting at low cost, stay with fluorescent - replace the fixtures, not the ballasts.

I always lean toward any light that does not produce lots of heat. Fluorescent and LED's are great for this.

A new light at Home Depot is $120, but they don't carry the ballast. They only had commercial rated, not residential, but those were only $30. Lowe's is $130 for the same kind of light.

If you have an old fixture, you probably have MAGNETIC BALLASTS, which are phased out (but still available on line). They were replaced by ELECTRONIC BALLASTS, which are sold in most big stores and on line.

If your fixtures are covered and not visible, and if you want to save money, buy shop lights. Hey, you don't see the fixtures under the plastic covers, and they are cheap, so why not?

The main difference between commercial and residential ballasts is that the residential ballasts tend to be quieter and produce less radio frequency interference. It's one of the few items made where the residential model is better than commercial.

If you do replace the ballast, I recommend getting one for T-8 tubes rather than T-12. The sockets are the same. T-8 tubes are more efficient and produce more light.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Thanks, I'll just find a ballast and replace it.

Found the ballast at Lowe's for $20. Took about 30 minutes, if that, to replace the old one.

Is it a magnetic or electronic ballast?
    What sort of tubes do you have?

T8 tubes, 48", 4 tubes. Electronic ballast, as I recall. Had a heck of a time finding it, going to 3 hardware stores & Home Depot. Lowe's is 12 miles from my house, but they had it.