+ Reply to Thread

Default Help with water-logged cabinets

We recently had a major water leak in our kitchen, under the sink, at our summer cottage on the coast of Maine. Water was sprayed all over the lower cabinets, and into the drawers. They are custom and built into the wall, and the drawers are wooden boxes made to slide in and out of a wooden frame - pine, I think. What has happened is that some of the drawers have swelled and do not open. (Someone else was in the house at the time and did not think to take the drawers out).

I need some advice on how to fix this. Will the whole thing eventually dry and work normally? Should I take the drawers out? Or will they bow not go back in? Will the coming cold weather help, or should they be kept warm? Any help, suggestions, advice is greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Help with water-logged cabinets

You may be looking at a loss.

If the cabinet frames/bodies are in good condition, making new drawers will be the minimal thing to do. Good luck.

i agree with DJ, doesn't sound good to me. it's possible that the framework and cabinet boxes might be able to be saved, but doubtful. as for the doors and drawers that are warped, they'll never work properly again, especially if they're made of pine. pine is a soft wood that will warp when wet and dry more warped.

sorry for your loss.

In addition to what was said, it is also quite likely that you will have mold growth in, under, and around the cabinets where air can not get to readily, leaving behind a musty odor at best, or a choking mold odor at worst, neither of which are healthy to be around.

Call your insurance adjuster and demand that the cabinets be replaced. DO NOT accept any settlements until you've consulted with several contractors to do the repairs. While you will not get 100% replacement value, odds are, a good contractor can get you what you deserve.

Off the top of my head, you will have the cabinets, possibly countertops, depending on what they are, drywall behind the cabinets, not to mention the plumbing repair. Possible flooring damage as well, while it may be ok at the moment, if water got into the subfloor or between slab and finish floor, again, not a good thing, hence why you want to consult with several contractors before accepting a settlement.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!