+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Venting through foundation

Hello all,

I have searched through many posts on this forum and others and realize that running a dryer vent along floor joists and venting through the rim joist would be the easiest/ best solution ... but ...

The location of the washer/ dryer and the way the house is oriented really doesn't allow for the proper clearances ( 30' from one end of the house is too far, and the 15' run would not have me more than 6" off the ground). If I could vent directly behind the dryer I would have the height requirement, but this is perpendicular to the floor joists and I know that a 4" hole through a 2X6 is most certainly a bad idea.

Any suggestions for safely coring a 4" diameter vent through the foundation wall?

The previous home-owner chose to massacre a piece of plexi and silicone a vent into the several pieces that the new window has become. I'd like to replace this window and put in a proper vent but it seems my options are extremely limited.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Default Re: Venting through foundation

A 4" diameter hole can easily be drilled thru a concrete foundation wall using a tool such as the Bosch Concrete Hammer drill. The tool (like the 11245 evs) is not cheap - and neither are the core drilling bits...

You can purchase them, or rent them (along with an appropiate bit) from any large Home Improvement WareHouse such as Lowes, or Home Depot...

DS.

Thanks for the confirmation. I was thinking about moving forward with that plan when I get the chance again.

I'm a first-time homeowner trying my hand at many of these things for the first time, but the proper tools and some common sense seems to be a large part of these tasks.

Thanks again for the reply.

Truly,

Rob Smith

Your odds are probably pretty good that you are going to run into rebar in that foundation wall and you will then need to figure out a way (And rent more tools.) to cut it. (Your rotary hammerdrill will not touch it.)

I do not know what your time is worth but you might want to get a quote from a coring company. They will bolt a coring press to the wall and blow a clean hole straight through.

Here is an example of how they get the job done.

Last edited by NEC; 05-12-2009 at 06:34 PM.

Fair point. The home was built in 1963. That's all I know unfortunately.

Rebar would prove to be a problem.

Is there any chance of someone hazarding a guess for a coring company to come out and core one hole? I'm sure it certainly varies but I wanted to ask.

Located in Massachusetts if that helps narrow a quote.

Rob

I'll post back tomorrow since I do not have schedules here at home. 8" foundation?

8" sounds like a fair guess. I'm about 1500 miles form the foundation so I'm drawing from memory here.

Just had it quoted and it falls in under their $120.00 minimum.

First quote I got back was $275. If you would be willing to share the company or contractor that gave you that price I would appreciate it, here or by private e-mail.

I'm located in MA as my info states, not sure if your vendor is nearby or not.

Thanks again for the help.

Rob

I am on the eastern edge of the rocky mountains so can not do you much good. The difference may be that I use a guy that works out of a cube van and his garage with no overhead.