+ Reply to Thread

Default Toilet rough-in questions

I'm doing a toilet rough-in and have a couple of questions.

1. When looking from above, does it matter which way the waste pipe leaves the toilet? Virtually all installations I've seen show the pipe going out the back of the toilet. But I suspect toilets "fire" straight down, so it shouldn't matter which way the waste pipe leaves the flange. I have to orient mine perpendicular to the toilet.

2. I've seen conflicting advice about how high to mount the flange. Some show it flush with the finished floor. Others show it sitting on top of the finished floor. Why is one method better than another, what's wrong with doing it one way or the other?

3. Lastly, how do you build the 1/4"/ft slope? Are the PVC fittings sloppy enough for the shallow angle? Or is a 90 elbow not really 90 degrees exactly. Otherwise I don't see how build everything slightly sloped.

Thanks,

Paul

Default Re: Toilet rough-in questions

1. The pipe is usually situated with the shortest way to the drain in mind.
    2. Flush with the finished floor or flange over the finished floor - either way will work. The difference in height is probably 1/4" or close to it.
    3. The 90 fitting is 90. The 45 is 45. When you glue the pipe into the fitting you have to create a 1/4"/ft slope, hold it together for 30 seconds and that's it. 1/4" slope is not so visible at the connection, but becomes visible down the line. You can use a torpedo level to get your tiny slope. BTW, this slope is enough to drain with no problems.

Default Re: Toilet rough-in questions

Thanks dj1!