I am looking for the exact name of this feature on my 1890's San Francisco Victorian:

In the kitchen, there is a 6-foot tall, 1 foot wide x 1 foot deep box attached to the exterior of the house. You can access it from a small door in the kitchen wall. The box has screening on the bottom, and near the top to obviously allow lots of air circulation. Each of the three shelves also has screening in the middle. I am assuming that before the age of refrigeration, people put potatoes, carrots, etc. in there to keep them cool and away from insects. So what is the right name for this box?
Thank you.