+ Reply to Thread

Default Long distance move

What's the best way to go about this? We've always managed this ourselves before, hired a truck etc, but this is further and we have more stuff now.
    Trying to work out how to do it, there are companies who can sort it all out for you..but I don't know how it all works with regards to packing etc and who's liable for breakages if we pack it ourselves. Do moving companies provide boxes?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by CPatt; 06-14-2013 at 04:28 AM.

Default Re: Long distance move

If you haven't used a professional long distance moving company, there are a few things you have to know about them and the way they operate, BEFORE you sign your name on the dotted line.

But first, could you fit all your possessions in a larger truck? If yes, do that, no matter how far you move. Truck rental companies like UHAUL or RYDER will let you drop the truck in a different location.

Movers are rated so low with consumers, just like used car salesmen, congressmen and lawyers. Just google consumers' complaints about movers and read what other homeowners are saying.

- Most will sell you boxes.
    - If you pack your stuff yourself, I doubt that they'll insure it and forget about collecting if they do. Missing items? broken items? misplaced items? damaged items? any of those can happen and your mover will deny responsibility.
    - Have you heard of the moving price scam? you sign a contract, but when your stuff reaches their national distribution center, they claim that it weighs more than what the contract says, and if you ever want to see your stuff again, you better pay the difference. They hold your possessions as hostage to get more of your money.

Do your own research and be very careful.

Thanks, I'll bear all this in mind.
    It's been a while since we moved, any tips on loading things into a truck? My dad's not around to help anymore, he used to know exactly where to put everything so that it didn't move around much.

Also, where can you buy boxes from?
    Lots of questions, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by CPatt View Post
    Thanks, I'll bear all this in mind.
    It's been a while since we moved, any tips on loading things into a truck? My dad's not around to help anymore, he used to know exactly where to put everything so that it didn't move around much.

Also, where can you buy boxes from?
    Lots of questions, sorry!
    1 - Loading a truck 101: Heavy stuff is always located on the bottom, forward in the vehicle, and evenly distributed from side to side. Light stuff on top. You will be amazed at what you can fit into a truck when packed properly. There are probably hundreds of how to vids on YouTube. Truck rental company websites also have plenty of how to information on everything from packing a box to loading the truck.

2 - Properly marked boxes. Always write the location and contents on all boxes, it will make unloading much faster and easier. It wouldn't hurt to make a master list of the boxes and their contents either, so that when you get to your final destination, you know where all your important stuff is.

3 - Don't be afraid to repack bedroom furniture, like chests of drawers. Pull the drawers and move the cabinet to the truck, then put the drawers and their contents back into the cabinet. Similar with desks and other types of cabinets. If the cabinet/drawer is full of smalls, then box the smalls and load the space with bed linens, towel, protected fragile items, etc.

4 - Save quilts, bedspreads, large blankets, sleeping bags, etc for packing blankets. Sure, you want to be careful not to damage to dirty these items, but most of the time this isn't an issue and will save you a bundle on shipping blankets.

5 - Ropes and straps. Buy them! Whatever you need to secure your belongings, especially the larger and heavier items. The more stable the load, the safer the transport and the less likely anything will get broken.

6 - You can buy boxes just about anywhere. Any truck rental company will have moving boxes, you don't have to rent their trucks to buy their packing supplies. You can also purchase boxes from office supply stores. News paper makes great packing material, you don't need to purchase bubble wrap, popcorn, etc. Again, this is the perfect place to use towels, linens, even clothing to protect delicate items. Don't get me wrong, buy whatever you need to pack your items safely, I'm just saying you can improvise with your common household items and save yourself a lot of money.

7 - More space - If you run out of room in the truck, you can return to the rental yard and pick up a trailer to finish the job.

8 - Take this opportunity to cull your belonging to the necessities. If you have not seen or used an item in over a year, sell or donate the item, you'll likely find that you can reduce your mass by at least 30% by getting rid of the excess. Again, I'm not suggesting you get rid of family heirlooms and such, just the things you no longer need or use.

9 - The last items to put into the truck will be the items you will need most when you reach your final destination, such as change of clothes, toiletries, and other personal items. Also keep in mind that you'll likely need household cleaning supplies, not only to tidy up the home you are leaving, but also to tidy up the new home you are moving into.

10 - Moving is also when you find out who your real friends are. Don't abuse them by working them too hard or too long. Having food and drinks available is also a good idea, whether friends are helping or not. When you get to your destination, you can hire local moving company employees to help, or day laborers. There might possibly be a few brawny teens in the neighborhood that you could entice to help for a few hours.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

***, excellent post by A.Spruce. I can only add the following, go to your local Harbor Freight Tools store and get a movers dolly. Its the best $8 you will spend.

http://www.harborfreight.com/movers-dolly-93888.html

Oops. they must have been on sale last week.

One other thing I forgot to mention was to never load an empty container. If you are packing suitcases, make sure each and every one of them is full of something. Likewise with other items you take, if it's got space to put something in it, do it, and make a note so you know where to find your stuff at the other end of the trip.

Other items that come to mind that make handy packing containers:
    Duffle bags
    Laundry baskets
    Buckets
    Shoe boxes
    Garbage cans
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Been away, just catching up but all good advice, thanks A.Spruce, that's a big help.

More items that can be used as packing "boxes".

Ice chests
    Appliances - oven, laundry equipment, refrigerator, microwave. All these things have large cavities that can be filled with something. Put appliances into the truck, load them up with stuff, then tie them down.
    Vehicles - If you're driving/towing a vehicle, load it up with stuff.

Would never think of putting stuff in appliances, great idea!