+ Reply to Thread

Default Plaster and Paint Help

My 1911 bath has original plaster walls in good shape. I got suggestions from another thread on how to fix small holes and cracks, but I am still at a loss as to how to deal with the walls as a whole. The lower,scored-like-tile half stripped pretty well. The upper 1/2 had wallpaper (came off easily) and then latex over who-knows-how many other layers of paint. I have attached pics to show the results so far. In some areas much is off down to an original layer of paint; in others the paint is removed in spots down to the plaster, but the rest refuses to come off. In the pic it looks loose, but it is not.
    I suspect covering it w/ 1/4" sheetrock will lead to more problems. Also the room is a gable and the ceiling curves into the wall in the outside end (see pic 3) I am totally frustrated and don't know how to proceed. I don't really want to sand everything as I know the under-layers must be lead. Any more suggestions out there??
    (I used Ready-Strip, a green pasty stripper.)

Default Re: Plaster and Paint Help

I see that you can upload photos now.

I would skim coat. If you can do it yourself, go ahead, otherwise get a pro to help you here. BTW, you can watch some demonstrations on Youtube. It has to be done right though, if you want it to last and be crack free.

After the skim coat you will be able to prime and paint as you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post

I would skim coat. If you can do it yourself, go ahead, otherwise get a pro to help you here.

After the skim coat you will be able to prime and paint as you wish.
    A good pro can finish that job so fast it will amaze you. If you are sick of sanding that is the way to go.

Just decide how much time you want to invest, it should not be a terribly expensive project.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

dj is right, skimcoat plaster. BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!! unless you're a plasterer, don't even attempt it yourself. it's definitely an art form. i've tried it several times and screwed it up every time.

I wondered if that might not be the answer. Just hope I can find someone to do it out here on the edge of the oil boom!
    Thanks for the advice!

I agree with the other posters, it's worth getting it done properly otherwise it will annoy you while you're lying in the bath looking up at the walls. Believe me, I've been there
    Skimcoat plaster is great to work on and it's amazing to watch it being done actually.