+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Basement smell

Default Basement smell

Hi. I have a 223 year old log home. We have done a lot of renovating in the past 18 months. We have at least 3 major projects remaining. Our biggest compliant is the basement smell seeping through to the main floor and upstairs. How can we seal or basement off to eliminate the smell or eliminate the smell in the basement. We are hesitant to spray foam insulate because the wood in the basement is beautiful and full of history. We do have central air so I know the smell comes through the registers as well. Please help!

Default Re: Basement smell

I think you are asking for the impossible task here. You might be better off finding and addressing the source of the odors. You may just need to cap off a drain or sewer vent.

What are the basement walls made of? Poured concrete? Concrete or cinder block? Stone? Are they covered (finished)?

What about the basement floor? Concrete slab? Dirt?

I agree with Keith, you need to address the cause of the smell, or at least try to treat it.

Hi. Thanks. Unfortunately the smell is just the basement itself. There is a poured Concrete floor but the walls are cut foundation stone. There is a natural spring basin in the basement and it always smells damp and musty. I guess I'm just out of luck.

How about bringing a dehumidifier into the basement?

agree, try the dehumidifier.

Also look into treating all your wood with a sodium borate solution. You can find a product called Boracare advertised in the Log Home Journal and other log home magazines, but ti is really expensive. You can save a lot by getting a product called Timbor and mixing it with antifreeze, google this.