+ Reply to Thread

Default wrought iron railing base rusting on cement

One wrought iron post, that is permanetly placed into our cement steps, rusts and leaves an unsightly stain on our stoop. We are not able to remove the railings.
    1. Can I encapsulate that railing base, and with what product, so that it will no longer leach out and then paint my cement steps to refresh them?
    2. And is there a special cement colored paint to use for the stoop?
    Thank you for your assistance - I know of no where else to turn to truly get a honest and professional answer.
    Marlene Wiener

Default Re: wrought iron railing base rusting on cement

Your problem is very common. You need to pay attention to rust, don't let it snowball out of control, because if you do, you'll have more damage than you can handle.

To treat the rust, go to youtube and watch videos on how to do it.

Basically, you clean the area, using metal brush or a drill with the proper attachment, prime and re-paint.

Painting concrete steps is a whole different subject.

even though it's rusting is it still in good solid shape or is it wobbly and weak?

The wrought iron railing is very secure. We've taken good care of the railings and they have been freshly painted, with proper oil base heavy duty paint, every few years. You do not see the rusted iron at the base - you only see the rust on the cement as it has run down the stoop steps. I was thinking that there may be some kind of mixture to paint around the base that would prevent that rust from reappearing.