+ Reply to Thread

Default Building my first patio advice needed... and ****** creative inspiratio​n

Hey all,

So I've recruited some friends to help me build a patio for our first house. yard area tends to have a slope in it, with the greatest slope area to be in the area where we are thinking of building our patio. It will be a paver patio, and we're wondering whether it's smarter to drop the high end, or bring up the low end by using a retaining wall.

At first, I thought dropping the high end would be the best (it would have to drop 13 inches), but there is a drainage pipe the relies on the slope that's there to take the water from our downspout out to our driveway, and away from the house, and then there is also an electrical cable running from the outside of our house on the high side, and down to our garage on the low side. Both of which would require moving and possibly the current hose and cable are not long enough. So then I thought, what if I made a retaining wall higher on the low side and brought it up to the height of the higher end, and just put the soil, gravel, sand, compacting, and pavers within that area instead.

Any thoughts on this? I could use the advice.

And then the other thing, does anyone have any sites, aside from Houzz and Pintrest, they use for inspiration on the layout and decor for outdoor living spaces?

Thanks so much.

Default Re: Building my first patio advice needed... and ****** creative inspiratio​n

I'd raise the low end, but...

1. What kind of patio will it be
    2. How high are you going to raise the low end
    3. What about the water drain and electrical cable
    4. What about compacting

And on and on. As you can see, you need to do a lot of planning, so you don't end up with a sinking piece of slab.

Just thinking: can you build a deck instead?

As for sources of ideas, try publications and internet, architects and designers.

And finally, find out if a permit is required, because a thing like this, where people gather, must meet certain requirements.

Default Re: Building my first patio advice needed... and ****** creative inspiratio​n

You can do a Google search on outside patios...and then click on Images.

I second a leveling, but with a small slope to facilitate drainage from the house.

Digging out the high side usually involves nice soil & plantings on the slope & ongoing care. A retaining wall on the low side will probably be concrete blocks, fill dirt & no maintenance. I know which one I prefer