+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Repairing My lawns

My lot is on a downslope and have several lawns in the front & back, separated by retaining walls and shrubs.

During the 2 years we lived here (North Virginia - near CIA HQ), the lawns have become "blotchy" with some soil becoming bare, and with Spring, the weeds are growing. (It's amazing that weed-like plants thrive during the winter when EVERY wanted plant/tree was hibernating).

(1) To help keep the lawns in shape and not have weeds overrun, I hired a lawn service who has/will apply fertilizer and weed killer.

(2) But I want fill in the bare spots by seeding, and have several questions.
    (i) How does weed killer affect seeding ??
    (ii) I have bags (and bags) of seed from last year; are the seeds "active" and should I buy fresh bags ?

(3) Other questions - - I have garden supplies stored in my garage (car reading says 45-50 degrees during winter) -- Preen, Roundup, chemicals, etc. -- are the supplies stale and should be throw out, and are they usable ??
    I also have driveway crack filler and patch from 1 year ago -- dead or reusable ??
    I have a gallon of furniture finish stripper, and the contents seem to have solidified during the past year.

Thanks.

Tony M.

Default Re: Repairing My lawns

What kind of grass do you have and is the grass seed the same type? Many lawn grasses spread out so they my fill in the bare spots before the seed does.

I pre-emergent like preen will block the seed form germinating. If you use Round Up, you should wait about 3 weeks before seeding.

Year old seed will still germinate, just the percentage of seed that germinates will be less, could be 50% or lower, just use more seed.

I have used 2 year old Round Up and it seems to be OK, I don't know about longer than that. Also I cannot say about the other unidentified chemicals. Some are stable in an unopened container for a long time, some are even stable in an opened container, others not so much.

What kind of grass do you have and is the grass seed the same type? Many lawn grasses spread out so they my fill in the bare spots before the seed does.

Answer: good question, but I don't know. I thought I throw in a Big Box bag and see what happens.
    I also have front-shaded triangle patch with an old Cherry that sucks ups energy, and there, I would try a "shade" variety grass seed.

A pre-emergent like preen will block the seed form germinating. If you use Round Up, you should wait about 3 weeks before seeding.

Answer: my lawn service already applied some killer to my lawns. I don't do anything else on grass . . . then I want to follow the right sequence -- otherwise, the seeds won't germinate or critters eat them.
    I use Round Up on cracks & crevices (man, I get broad leaf weed that are 6 inch dia in blacktop/concrete expansion moat !). I use Preen on soil & planting areas -- otherwise, it will take 2-3 de-weedings to the fall.

Year old seed will still germinate, just the percentage of seed that germinates will be less, could be 50% or lower, just use more seed.

Answer: I have lot's of 1-year old seed.

I have used 2 year old Round Up and it seems to be OK, I don't know about longer than that.

Answer: maybe my Virginia weed is too tough for 1-year old Roundup. The leafy weeds are limpy but still very green after 1 week, but we had rain.

Also I cannot say about the other unidentified chemicals. Some are stable in an unopened container for a long time, some are even stable in an opened container, others not so much.

Answer: it a big resource waste to dispose of this stuff. I buy it during the summer, but it's too hot/humid to work outside, and then a year passes by.

Add one tablespoon of Murphy's Oil Soap to each gallon of Round Up (mix) and if using regular strength Round Up, mix it 50% stronger. It will even take out poison ivy at this strength.

Looks like everyone covered your first question(s) but as for the driveway crack filler... it is dead if it's been opened and uncovered, or if it is more than one year old. I asked my driveway repair contractor the same thing before I decided to just repave the whole thing. I would have needed a lot more filler to get the job done.

Good luck with everything.
    Your Hidden Content
    Where Healthy Living is Built In Hidden Content