Poll: was the helpful?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread

Cool Toilet help asap!!!

I need help with bbefore I replace my toilet. The questions I have on reolacing my toilet is this.

1.) Can I replace my old toilet that has a 14" rough in with a 12" rough? The gap behind the tank and the wall will not bother me at all! Because eventually the wall nehind it will be tore out and replaced but not now. Also will the closet drain line up correctly with the toilet I will replace the old toilet with. And adding 2" forward will not bother me either. I just neeed to know if I can replace it without using and unfit or adapters of any kind. I have searched and searched ****** about this and I cant find a positive answer that I am satisfied with. Hopefully I can get a positive andcmost truthfully answer or answers on here. I have found one thread one this site that kinda dealt with this but not fully. Some told the person yeah it will work and some saidcthst they need to use an adapter. So can anybody tell me a good answer forcthis questio

2.) The closet flange is my next question which is the best to use? I want to do as little cutting into the floor as possible. So would a closet flange that goes insidecthe closet drain work well or should I need to use another type? I am asking this is because once I take the old toilet out I need to get back in that same day because I only have one toilet. So which one would becthe best?

3.) If can use a 12" rough in toilet I have only a few select toilets that I can choose from a few and at my local hardware store in stock and available to pick up totoday. One it the American standard champion ( not really the seat height I want) the seat height is 15" for that one. These others are the right height and them are the belmont HET, the Startus HET, and the Eljer titan 4. Which out of these ones are the best out there? And do any of these come with the fill valve and flapper already installed in the tank? If nor which fill valves arecthe best out there. Is the dual flush fill valves the best out there for flush valves? I have searched these out to and couldnt find the right one I want that will be the best!!??!

Thanks Kind Regards Alan
    Last edited by Alan311; 04-01-2013 at 05:16 PM. Reason: mispelled words

Default Re: Toilet help asap!!!

1. Yes.

2. If you replace a toilet, you already have a floor flange. Have you inspected it? is it damaged?
    Floor flange should be flush with the finished floor. Use a new wax ring with a plastic flange that goes into the floor flange.

3. Choose the best toilet for you from all those brands you mentioned. Usually tanks come complete with all parts installed. Dual flush tanks run more, but not really necessary. If you worried about wasting water, we have a rule in Calif.: "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down" - and that's how we save water.

You really limited my voting options n the poll, could you add one or two more that do not direct me quite as much?
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Thanks dj1, and no I can't inspect the closet flange. Because once I take the toilet off I have to totally replace it. Cuz once I take it out I am replacing it completly. But I am worried that I need to replace it. But I don't of a good or decent closet flange to replace it with. But is a flange that goes inside the closet drain good or one the goes on the out better?

Dear function you do have my apologies on the voting poll. I didn't really know whatcthat was for so I just added them sorry. And I coild you help me out I am new to this and I don't really know what kind of things that needed to go into there. And I don't know how to edit the poll question could you help me out with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan311 View Post
    Dear function you do have my apologies on the voting poll. I didn't really know whatcthat was for so I just added them sorry. And I coild you help me out I am new to this and I don't really know what kind of things that needed to go into there. And I don't know how to edit the poll question could you help me out with that?

If there is no edit button for the poll you might be out of luck.

Good luck with the toilet, just start the project early in the morning and be prepared to either hold it or borrow the restroom at your toilet supplier.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

alan311,

It looks like this is your first toilet replacement job. May I suggest you watch some youtube videos first, to get yourself a little more familiar on the subject. Also, make sure you have all the necessary parts on hand to complete the job.

If you run into difficulties, have a plumber lined up, so you don't end up with no toilet for the day (or night).

Quote Originally Posted by function View Post
    If there is no edit button for the poll you might be out of luck.

Good luck with the toilet, just start the project early in the morning and be prepared to either hold it or borrow the restroom at your toilet supplier.
    Yeah I don't see an edit button for the poll sorry sir I do apologize for that!