+ Reply to Thread

Default Window replacement

We just had a person come over and talk to us about window replacement. This person described their window replacement procedure as taking out the old window and somehow preserving the window frame rather than going down to the 2X4's. The sill is replaced with an adapter and the replacement window fits inside the frame hence is slightly smaller than the original window. This contrasts with methods of window replacement I've seen here and elsewhere. Can somone help me figure out if this is an acceptable approach? Thanks.

Default Re: Window replacement

that is the standard way that repacement windows are done. but there are quite a few problems. they sould fill the weight pockets if you have and but most installers dont and they should also pull the trim either inside or out and foam the gap around the old frame which i have never seen an installer do. if they did both these things and sealed the new window in properly that apporach would be a good one but honestly most of the repacements i have seen put in have been done without doing any of this and are still very leaky

Thanks. I will watch for that.

There are two things I don't like about this method of window replacement, as mentioned already:

1. You end up with a smaller window. Yes, it will be only a couple of inches smaller, but window size in bedrooms has to meet certain code, and you don't want to be in violation of that code.

2. Your new window will not be 100% leak proof. Unfortunately, leaks may start happen after the warranty is up and the installer is nowhere to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    There are two things I don't like about this method of window replacement, as mentioned already:

1. You end up with a smaller window. Yes, it will be only a couple of inches smaller, but window size in bedrooms has to meet certain code, and you don't want to be in violation of that code.

2. Your new window will not be 100% leak proof. Unfortunately, leaks may start happen after the warranty is up and the installer is nowhere to be found.
    I just met with the second situation you mentioned. I have replaced four of my windows last year and it performed well till last winter. Now it is leaking like anything. I missed to have a water test right after the installation. Can Vulkem 116 help me out of this? I got some recommendations with dow corning contractor's sealent also. Which one is the best to save my vinyl replacement windows?