+ Reply to Thread

Default Converting attic to room

Hi,

Another project on this 1912 Victorian is to consider turning the very spacious attic into a room, and possible small bathroom. Currently, the joists are full 2x4 redwood in great shape, 16" on center.

The center of the room would be the center of the house, which is a load bearing wall that runs down the middle of the house. The room would be about 10-12' wide, so the edges of the room would be in the middle of a 10 foot span, or 5-6 feet from the load bearing wall, since the house is 21' wide.

Are the current joists strong enough for this? What is the minimum size beam I would need to sister in order to make the floor strong enough to be safely used as a bedroom/playroom? The ceiling height is already marginal, so I'm trying to maximize headroom here.

I did look at a joist span calculator, but couldn't find specs for full-dimension 2x4 redwood.

Many thanks in advance.

Default Re: Converting attic to room

2x4 is not sufficient for joists/new floor. The minimum in certain cases is 2x8 or 2x10.

You will need to draw plans and have them checked and approved by the bldg dept.