+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting metal hinges

I am painting my kitchen cabinets and would like to know if the existing hinges, which are oil-rubbed bronze, can be painted. If so, what would be the steps to do this?

Default Re: Painting metal hinges

I'll vote against painting the hinges.

The proper way to paint kitchen cabinets is to remove all hardware before you bring the paint out.

However, it's your kitchen and you can do whatever you want.

painted hinges never end up looking nice. most cabinet hinges are very inexpensive, why not change the hinges for new ones close to the color you need.

My plan was to replace the old hinges with new ones but at almost $4 per hinge, and I need 28 of them, it is a little costly!

Quote Originally Posted by salsachamp View Post
    My plan was to replace the old hinges with new ones but at almost $4 per hinge, and I need 28 of them, it is a little costly!
    The fact that your hinges are a little pricey only supports our answers to preserve them and not to paint over them.

Remove them before painting. By doing so, you'll also have a chance to clean them and oil them, when dry.

I have re-used old hinges in the past when they were non-standard types which were hard to find replacements for. If you do paint them, soak them in lacquer thinner to remove old finish and oils (make sure there are no plastic parts which might dissolve). I like to use a simple spray can if I can find a suitable color. You must spray them in different degrees of openess to be sure you are getting all areas which can be seen. You can recycle the screws too. Simply stick them into a piece of cardboard for spraying. If they get nicked up while installing, spray some paint into a paper cup and touch up the heads with an artists brush.

Thanks for all the great information and suggestions. I lucked out and finally found the ones I need ******. FYI - I did remove all the hardware and the cabinets before painting. The cabinets are being painted white and all the hardware was an antique oil-rubbed "****" and wouldn't look good with white cabinets so therefore the search for hinges and/or ideas. Again, thanks for all the responses!