+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Reusing 2x6's and 2x4's????

Hey Guys,

I have a 1953 Cape that I will be adding a shed dormer in the summer. I was wondering if you are allowed to reuse building materials such as 2x4's and 2x6's when adding on a shed dormer? As long as the roof rafters are straight, I would like to reuse them and any 2x4's for the interior walls if possible. I would like to hear anyone's thoughts.

Thanks,

Pat

Default Re: Reusing 2x6's and 2x4's????

As long as the lumber is in good shape, I can't see why you couldn't reuse it.

But if the lumber has termite, dry rot, twisted, bowed, etc damages, why on earth would you want to reuse it for interior purposes.

Howdy, might want to check your local building codes- some do not allow reuse of wood with out it being certified by structural enginer. I hope not because sustainable construction = reusing lumber. A lot of old lumber is much better grade wood then new an sure allot cheaper to dis assemble and re use. Happy trails.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

That's how I feel about reusing old lumber. I feel the older lumber is much better than what you get in stores today. A lot of times in the stores, the wood is still soaking wet.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Presti View Post
    A lot of times in the stores, the wood is still soaking wet.

Pat
    That doesn't mean anything other than a high moisture content. It does not affect the strength or structural integrity of the material. You'll also find that a fresh/moist board is easier to cut and nail than reclaimed material that is dry and extremely hard, which makes it more susceptible to cracking when trying to drive new fasteners through it.

Most places don't care if you recycle your building materials, as long as those materials are sound and suited to the new purpose. A was said, check with your local building department first.

And if you want to insure you're getting good quality lumber, buy from a lumberyard, not a big box.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Doesn't wet wood have a tendency to twist or bow?

Only when left to its own devices. You get it secured into the framing before it dries and you will always have a straight board. The same is true for all that old lumber you're salvaging, when the house was built, it was wet, it dried straight because it was held straight during the drying process.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Presti View Post
    Hey Guys,

I have a 1953 Cape that I will be adding a shed dormer in the summer. I was wondering if you are allowed to reuse building materials such as 2x4's and 2x6's when adding on a shed dormer? As long as the roof rafters are straight, I would like to reuse them and any 2x4's for the interior walls if possible. I would like to hear anyone's thoughts.

Thanks,

Pat
    It's not uncommon to reuse lumber in a remodel to some degree. I don't recall any restrictions in code books like national codes or the IRC that would limit reuse of lumber providing it's structurally sound and would meet the species and grade quality.

i reuse lumber whenever possible. everything from studs, to joists, to flooring and depending on how it was finished and how old it is, sometimes trim. i don't know if it's even an issue with building depts, maybe regarding joists, but it's never been brought up as an issue with an inspector.

and spruce did have a good point with how hard old lumber can sometimes get and split when nailed.

"and spruce did have a good point with how hard old lumber can sometimes get and split when nailed."

For harder than hard lumber, use a drill to drill pilot holes to drive nails into, so they don't split. Tedious, but split free.