+ Reply to Thread

Default How to contain blown-in fiberglass under eaves in attic used for storage

We had blown in fiberglass installed in the attic space. The walls of the room below were removed, baffles installed so the insulation could go under the eaves and solve an ice dam problem we have had. Plywood was installed years ago so that the attic space could be used for storage and the space just under the eaves where the attic floor meets the roof line is open with no plywood over it. The blown-in fiberglass is exposed in this area. We are concerned that the blown-in fiberglass will move around. We are looking for what can be used to contain it. Is there a fabric sheeting? Could we cover it with fiberglass batts or plywood? What is the best solution?

Default Re: How to contain blown-in fiberglass under eaves in attic used for storage

Why would it move around. This system has been used for many decades and so far, I have never heard of anyone having a problem with it.

Default Re: How to contain blown-in fiberglass under eaves in attic used for storage

We use the space for storage and expect we may bump it. Reaching in with a hand moves it easily and we expect strong winds that come through the attic space may also move it. i have seen mention of applying a nonwoven fabric, but have not found any additional information.

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    We had blown in fiberglass installed in the attic space. The walls of the room below were removed, baffles installed so the insulation could go under the eaves and solve an ice dam problem we have had. Plywood was installed years ago so that the attic space could be used for storage and the space just under the eaves where the attic floor meets the roof line is open with no plywood over it. The blown-in fiberglass is exposed in this area. We are concerned that the blown-in fiberglass will move around. We are looking for what can be used to contain it. Is there a fabric sheeting? Could we cover it with fiberglass batts or plywood? What is the best solution?
    Either of those two would be easy to do , economical and would be fine. Otherwise , you could use screen ( the same material used on your window screens ) if you wish.

Thanks. I also saw reference on the internet of using a nonwoven fabric, but no description - any ideas?

Not sure what you're describing. Whatever you use just make sure it will allow moisture and air movement to allow the insulation to dry . The only fabric I would use would be house wrap.
    It's your choice what you want to use.

I believe the non woven fabric is TYVEC. Something I have seen done, though I don't really see the reason for it is to get bats of fiberglass or similar insulation that is the thickness of the height of your joists and matched to the center spacing, I.e 8x23 for 2x8 on 24" centers.

Cut into 12" (one foot) lengths and fit them under the eaves, pushing the blown in insulation up under your flooring. These will act like plugs on the end of each joist cavity. If needed, you can cut a taper where it gets close to the eaves as you need at least 2" between the insulation and the roof decking in order to vent the eaves.

Tyvek is one with Typar being another name of manufacturers of housewrap.