+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default removing rust on wooden columns

Rust is showing up on our wooden columns located on our front porch. The weird part is that the rust is more apparent on one column and not on the other. What would be the easiest way to remove the dust? In the past I have used high quality exterior paint and just painted over it. That obviously has not worked well. I am far from a handyman, but I'm willing to try.

Last edited by valpd; 03-30-2013 at 09:04 AM.

Default Re: removing rust on wooden columns

Valpd,

Did you spot prime the rusty nails first with an oil based primer? The water in latex paints will aggravate the rust. Latex is also more vapor permeable than oil.

Also, your decorative footings will last longer if they are kept out of contact with the cement floor. Cement wicks water up into the wood. Mount them about 1/16th of on inch off the surface, then caulk the resulting gap with a quality caulk, preferably a urethane .

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Valpd,

Did you spot prime the rusty nails first with an oil based primer? The water in latex paints will aggravate the rust. Latex is also more vapor permeable than oil.

Also, your decorative footings will last longer if they are kept out of contact with the cement floor. Cement wicks water up into the wood. Mount them about 1/16th of on inch off the surface, then caulk the resulting gap with a quality caulk, preferably a urethane .
    I did not spot prime. What primer/paint would you recommend that I use? If you look close the footings are not in contact with the cement. It sounds like I should use a urethane caulk afterwards.

valpd,

Just spot prime the rusty areas with an oil based quick dry primer such as CoverStain, then face of the area with paint.

valpd,

Just spot prime the rusty areas with an oil based quick dry primer such as CoverStain, then face of the area with paint.
    I might as well just paint both columns completely and caulk the bottom.

valpd,

Is there a specific paint that you recommend?

b.i.n shellac based primer.. that column should have been built using stainless steel nails
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    b.i.n shellac based primer.. that column should have been built using stainless steel nails
    Thanks. Since this primer is white do I paint afterwards. If I should paint what type of paint is recommended? Its in the 50's here in WI. What is the ideal temperature for painting something like this?

yes you have to paint over the primer. the primer is simply a sealer that grabs the paint. you might want to wait a little longer before painting it. its still a little cool though im not sure of hte exact tempearture conversion from fahrenhiet to celcius. typically here 10 degress celcius is about ideal. above 25 and it dries too fast. below zero and it just freezes before it cures
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    yes you have to paint over the primer. the primer is simply a sealer that grabs the paint. you might want to wait a little longer before painting it. its still a little cool though im not sure of hte exact tempearture conversion from fahrenhiet to celcius. typically here 10 degress celcius is about ideal. above 25 and it dries too fast. below zero and it just freezes before it cures
    What type of paint would be ideal to use? So it sounds like I would need to wait until its 50-60 degrees. Should I use a paint brush or a roller? Also, what size primer and paint can should ii look at getting for these 2 columns?