+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: The Low Bid Home Remodel Tale

Quote Originally Posted by Rekonn View Post
    Great thread, subscribed. What do you guys think of using an architect to act as a project manager? I'm in the process of buying a house that may need $100k worth of work (convert oil to gas, remodel kitchen, remodel 2 baths, new deck, finish basement)
    Do you really want an overpaid babysitter? You're already paying the general contractor for this, why spend more unnecessarily. The ONLY time I'd bring the architect in as a manager is if they needed to be there to oversee that their designs are brought to life safely and properly. Even then, the GC would be in charge and the architect would only be there for consultations. For a common remodel/update of an old house, no.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Spruce is right, a competent general contractor is all you need, to have a smooth experience.

Architects are good at what they DO. Well, not all of them, but you know what I mean. Very few of them can make good GCs.

Once I had an architect who designed a curved stairwell resting on a steel beam in a house I was building. Theoretically it was brilliant (because it looked like it was suspended in the air), but practically almost impossible to make. We finally visited another house being built with a similar stairwell, and completed the job.

Interesting, good to know! I'm still in the research phase, and this is pretty new to me. This article made it sound like architects should be used for a lot more than just design and consulting.

bobvila.com/articles/401-working-with-your-architect/pages/1
    (my post count not high enough for links)

I think I got confused between common remodel/update, and major project, as both seem like major projects to me currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Rekonn View Post
    I think I got confused between common remodel/update, and major project, as both seem like major projects to me currently.
    You need to do whatever makes you comfortable. Realistically, an architect is a designer, not a builder, so while their eye may be helpful to design the space, and maybe consult during some of the construction phase, you really don't need them for the whole project. A good general will be able to provide you with far better control and support, since they are the ones actually doing the work.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!