+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Insulation around vent pipe?

I just moved my laundry to the second floor. The plumber installed an in wall vent for the drain. It has one of those funny looking PVC fittings on top.

Although this is on an interior wall I would like to insulate the wall with sound/fire insulation. Can this be done in the same bay as the vent?

Thanks,
    CB

Default Re: Insulation around vent pipe?

those types of vents are not allowed in many states. are you sure it's ok to use? secondly, i can't imagine that where they are legal, that it's ok to put them in a stud bay in a closed up wall. i thought they had to be vented in a room or under a cabinet. all i can see is eventual mold issues in the stud bay once it's closed up. maybe some other members here can shed some more light on this issue as i'm not very familiar with the "do's" and "do nots" of this type of vent.

A photo showing what you got would help. You can use photobucket.com to upload a photo.

Can't send a photo at present but I found out this is called a and Air Admittance Valve. Apparently it only opens with negative pressure so stays shut unless the drain is in use.

I live in Long Island, NY, and hope these are to code.

Again, still not sure if this should have insulation around it.

Quote Originally Posted by cenergy View Post
    Can't send a photo at present but I found out this is called a and Air Admittance Valve. Apparently it only opens with negative pressure so stays shut unless the drain is in use.

I live in Long Island, NY, and hope these are to code.

Again, still not sure if this should have insulation around it.
    AAV's cannot be inaccessible. Not sure if they're allowed in NJ. You could put it behind an access panel in the wall.

John

Now it's clear to me what vent you have. You need to ask your local building department if this kind of vent is approved in Long Island, NY. IMO, no insulation is required for any portion that's in the wall, but you can check that too.

Is there a specific reason you want to add the insulation? Is it just a personal preference or is there another issue that you're trying to resolve that you may not have mentioned?
    Don't kill the dream, execute it.

Retroloco-LJ
    Hidden Content