+ Reply to Thread

Question Removing Old Cast Iron Section

I could use some good recommendations on the easiest way to remove a section of old cast iron pipe. It is the 45 degree section circled in the picture below. The pipe looks to be either 1 1/2" or 2". It goes into a 4" section with appears to be soldiered with lead so I didn't want to disturb that piece. If I can remove the 45 degree elbow I should be good to go.

Should I heat the pipe up with a torch and try to unscrew it, or just cut the entire piece off with a reciprocating saw? I was told that these blades (http://www.amazon.com/LENOX-9114G-Ti...R#brandRatings) cut through case iron rather easily so that wouldn't be an issue. Once I start working on this I am committed to finish it because the pipe goes to my sump pump which I am replacing, so the least amount of time taking this apart the better. Which would be the best way to remove this 45 degree elbow? Thanks.

Default Re: Removing Old Cast Iron Section

the easiest way by far is to use a grinder with a metal disc. it will take less than 30 seconds to make the cut. i do it all the time. normally these fittings are taken apart with a 2-3 pound sledge but you don't want to damage the other pipes. if you don't have a grinder then the sawzall will be just fine.

I prefer a side angle grinder too because it will give you the best cut. Wear eye protection.

If you run a new pipe instead use no hub connectors. Make sure you have all your parts available.

Cool Re: Removing Old Cast Iron Section

That's funny because I was just looking at grinders.

Would a 4" grinder be too small?

Question Re: Removing Old Cast Iron Section

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    If you run a new pipe instead use no hub connectors.

If I am able to unscrew the old cast iron elbow, and I can find a PVC fitting to screw on there, wouldn't that be better?

Or is it bad to connect PVC directly to cast iron?

you can get a pvc fitting to screw onto there but the odds of unscrewing it are down pretty close to zero. a 4" angle grinder will be fine.

Question Re: Removing Old Cast Iron Section

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    you can get a pvc fitting to screw onto there but the odds of unscrewing it are down pretty close to zero.
    What if I heated it up with a torch? Wouldn't that expand the pipe and allow it to come off?

I wouldn't try torching it or unscrewing it, due to the fact that you're dealing with an old pipe. You never know what can happen if you try - you may cause irreversible damage to the pipe and say: I should have listened to MLB and dj.

By heating, it might fall apart. By rotating, it might create a lot of damage to the rest of the pipe.

Cutting is the easiest answer, and that was your initial question.

I've had good luck using a circular saw with a 7 1/2" metal cutting blade, HD, Lowe's, to easily cut thru leaking or cracked cast iron sections as pictured here; wear eye protection & expect a shower of sparks; for the new connectors, try an easy to use neoprene flex FERNCO connector, such as what is pictured below; when at the second site below, click onto "images for fernco fitting images" for extensive photos of many different fernco fittings.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/FER...Coupling-4P011
    http://www.google.com/search?q=fernc...AQsAQ&biw=1024
    Last edited by von_steuben; 03-29-2013 at 10:47 PM.