+ Reply to Thread

Default Black hot water to whirlpool tub

I have black water coming out of the faucet for my bathroom whirlpool tub. It's very black when the water is first turned on with some black sediment. I have well water and the last water test didn't come up with any answers. I don't believe it is the water heater as the water is perfectly clear, even slight tint of blue when the water is coming out of the kitchen faucet. The water goes through a water softener. At one time the line to that bathroom had a circulator running. I have since turned it off thinking it might be the reason for the black then gray water. I also turned the temperature down a bit. As the bathroom shower and sink don't have a problem it seem to be that the copper line for the whirlpool, because it doesn't get used as much, is the issue. I'd like to know if the pipes can be cleaned or will they need to be replaced as I have run a lot of water through it trying to figure out what to do. I would be nice to know what caused it so that it can be prevented in the future. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Default Re: Black hot water to whirlpool tub

By pass the softener and see if that makes it go away, There also is a chance they someone piped the tub with black iron piping and that could also be the issue there is lots of things it could be maybe even build up in the water heater etc.. but those are the first things I would check.

Ben Franklin Plumbing
    372 D St
    Salt Lake City, UT 84104
    (801) 416-3522
    http://www.benfranklinplumbingut.com/salt-lake-city-ut/

Smile Re: Black hot water to whirlpool tub

I'm pretty sure it's a pipe and not a water heater issue but I didn't think about it being a different kind of pipe. I know it is a larger pipe for more water flow to fill the tub and will check it out. I can't really by pass the softener in that it is well water with high iron content and the soften very needed. Is there a way to flush out a pipe or would it be better just to replace it? and if replacing would a non metal pipe be better? I know they used a flexible line in the kitchen remodel. Many thanks!

What Ben is asking you to do is to try it on bypass to see if there may be a problem with the softener. Then you can put it right back in service.

John
    John

I'm leaning towards the possibility of having some galvanized pipe on the way to the whirlpool tub, in addition to the copper you mentioned. It's worth confirming.