+ Reply to Thread

Default paint or primer that cover crayon?

A guy I work with told me his daughter drew a US map on her bedroom wall in crayon. Though she may get an A in geography for her effort,dad is bummed. He said the big box stores told him they don't sell any paint or primer to cover crayon,that he would have to sand it smooth first. Problem is they are heavily textured walls,so he's afraid of trying to match the texture after the sanding.
    Will any paint or primer cover crayon? I've never had to deal with this (my kids use paper).
    Thanks.

Default Re: paint or primer that cover crayon?

Crayons are hard to cover. Multiple application of a good primer will be needed. Try BIN 123 or Zinsser Primecoat.

Zinsser BIN Primer is actually rated to cover crayon. It is one of the many things that this primer will cover along with grease, smoke stains. It is on the side of the paint can. It is a shellac based primer and very sticky. Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 is a water based primer that is not rated to cover crayon. Make sure that you get the correct can of paint.

Thanks guys I'll pass on the info.
    Can this primer be painted over with latex paint? I assume that it needs to be cleaned up with alcohol?

Ammonia is what is used to clean up a shellac based primer. Carry a can of ammonia diluted about half and half with water with up as shellac based primers dry quickly. Keep stirring the can or a skin will form on top and if you leave your work for any reason cover the can and put the brush in the ammonia.

Yes you can cover it with Latex paint.