+ Reply to Thread

Thread: kitchen faucet

Default kitchen faucet

Faucet is leaking at bottom of faucet above the base.
    Is this an easy repair and how do I proceed?
    Thanks

Default Re: kitchen faucet

Without seeing the actual faucet, I'd say it can't be repaired. I can also say that a kitchen faucet that squirts water from the base is not worth fixing. Replace it.

Is this hole caused by corrosion?
    How old is this faucet?

It could be an O ring on the spout or the stems. Need more information.

John

http://www.belanger-upt.com/images/s...30px/3065w.jpg
    is address to view the faucet. I cannot upload any pictures.
    So the leak is from top of spout lock-nut. Faucet is 5 years old. Do you think changing the pieces o-ring and retainer ring, and spout lock-nut might make it leak free?
    Thanks

Loosen the nut on the spout and the spout will pull out. You will find an O ring in a grove on the spout. Replace the O ring with the proper size. That should solve your problem.

John

The only reason to replace a faucet is if the faucet body fails. All other parts are almost always replaceable.

Unless you have a Big Box Special* brand of faucet. Then you should replace it on principle with a trusted name brand.

*If it's a brand or model that is "exclusive" to a particular store, consider it a poor purchase. If it's an exclusive model of a name brand, it is likely made by a lower-quality manufacturer under license. In some cases it is made by the brand, but sacrificing quality as compared to their other product lines.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 03-28-2013 at 01:26 AM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Do I need plumbers' putty before reassembling faucet or any tape?
    Do I need to shut water? I wouldn't think so?
    Thanks for your help.

If you're just removing the spout, you don't have to turn the water off. There is no need for putty. That would be used if you removed the faucet.

John

l.bro,

Do you know the faucet brand?

Changing the O ring with an exact matching new ring from the same manufacturer, may make your faucet leak free. Question is: can you find such an O ring and at what final cost in time, travel and/or shipping? Remember: your final cost is not only the $1 price of a new O ring.

If not, your type of faucet sells for $25 (for store brand) to $60 (Delta or Moen). You do your math and decide: replace the faucet now, or fiddle with the old one for as long as it takes you. Time has value too, you know.

For me as a landlord, kitchen faucets of this kind are not worth fixing - and this is where I differ from John and Fence. I also don't want to keep the tenant hanging and waiting. I replace them on the same day a tenant calls me. There is nothing better than a satisfied tenant.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    l.bro,

Do you know the faucet brand?

Changing the O ring with an exact matching new ring from the same manufacturer, may make your faucet leak free. Question is: can you find such an O ring and at what final cost in time, travel and/or shipping? Remember: your final cost is not only the $1 price of a new O ring.

If not, your type of faucet sells for $25 (for store brand) to $60 (Delta or Moen). You do your math and decide: replace the faucet now, or fiddle with the old one for as long as it takes you. Time has value too, you know.

For me as a landlord, kitchen faucets of this kind are not worth fixing - and this is where I differ from John and Fence. I also don't want to keep the tenant hanging and waiting. I replace them on the same day a tenant calls me. There is nothing better than a satisfied tenant.
    He is not a tenant or landlord and how he uses his time is his decision to make.

John