+ Reply to Thread

Thread: kitchen faucet

Hybrid View

Default kitchen faucet

Faucet is leaking at bottom of faucet above the base.
    Is this an easy repair and how do I proceed?
    Thanks

Default Re: kitchen faucet

Without seeing the actual faucet, I'd say it can't be repaired. I can also say that a kitchen faucet that squirts water from the base is not worth fixing. Replace it.

Is this hole caused by corrosion?
    How old is this faucet?

It could be an O ring on the spout or the stems. Need more information.

John

http://www.belanger-upt.com/images/s...30px/3065w.jpg
    is address to view the faucet. I cannot upload any pictures.
    So the leak is from top of spout lock-nut. Faucet is 5 years old. Do you think changing the pieces o-ring and retainer ring, and spout lock-nut might make it leak free?
    Thanks

Loosen the nut on the spout and the spout will pull out. You will find an O ring in a grove on the spout. Replace the O ring with the proper size. That should solve your problem.

John

The only reason to replace a faucet is if the faucet body fails. All other parts are almost always replaceable.

Unless you have a Big Box Special* brand of faucet. Then you should replace it on principle with a trusted name brand.

*If it's a brand or model that is "exclusive" to a particular store, consider it a poor purchase. If it's an exclusive model of a name brand, it is likely made by a lower-quality manufacturer under license. In some cases it is made by the brand, but sacrificing quality as compared to their other product lines.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 03-28-2013 at 01:26 AM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.