+ Reply to Thread

Default gfi outlet tripping when tv turned on

just had a 42 inch flatpanel tv fixed, new power supply, once i got it back we used it to replace the tv in the bedroom. the old tv was a tube type from about 10 years ago, now that the flatpanel is plugged in and turned on it trips the gfi outlet in the kitched. the circuits are not shared in any way, couple years ago had 200 amp service brought into the house and kitchen rewired, the old 60 amp box is used as a big junction box of sorts so the whole house didnt get rewired. trying to figure this thing out but the only thing the bedroom outlet and kitchen outlets have in common is the neutral bar in the breaker box. kitchen is on its own breakers and is the bedroom. have taken the front of the panel off and checked the grounds a neutral screws, im assuming next would be to head into the attic and start inspectiong all plices

Default Re: gfi outlet tripping when tv turned on

Is the TV plugged into a surge protector?
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

no, I don't have the tv plugged into a surge protector, just straight into the wall outlet

Start there, you tv can generate small surges as well as be a victim of them.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Is the "shared neutral" in the box where the GFCI breaker is located or in the old 60A box which is now just used for splices?

That box can contain a ground bar but should not contain a neutral bar.

As I suspect you already know, the "curly" white wire on a GFCI breaker must be connected to the neutral bar and from the GFCI breaker, only connect the black and white feeding the GFCI circuit. And, they must remain together to the loads.

Or,is your GFCI a receptacle which feeds the some of the countertop receptacles? If so, the problem gets weird.

If everything worked OK before the repair and everthing is OK with the TV unplugged, I suspect the TV.

But, I would plug some other loads into the TV receptacle just to be sure.

If you still have a problem, "noise" on GFCI and especially AFCI circuits can, in rare instances, cause those devices to trip.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Another possible option: the electrician who did the new 200 A panel may have put the TV circuit on one of the kitchen circuits. Review the circuits again.

tv outlet not on the same circuit, kitchen has been all rewired as well as 2 bathrooms. that tv outlet is still tied into the old wiring for the house.. i have found out that if i use and extension cord and plug it into the new wired bathroom it doesnt trip the gfi.i work on cars for a living and some guys wire houses, with that said i have an electrician coming out tomorrow to give it a look.. he seems to think that somewhere in the wiring of the old part someone has reversed the polarity of an outlet or splice to an outlet.. guess ill find out tomorrow. will post what we find once its done to

Quote Originally Posted by The Semi-Retired Electric View Post
    Is the "shared neutral" in the box where the GFCI breaker is located or in the old 60A box which is now just used for splices?

That box can contain a ground bar but should not contain a neutral bar.

As I suspect you already know, the "curly" white wire on a GFCI breaker must be connected to the neutral bar and from the GFCI breaker, only connect the black and white feeding the GFCI circuit. And, they must remain together to the loads.

Or,is your GFCI a receptacle which feeds the some of the countertop receptacles? If so, the problem gets weird.

If everything worked OK before the repair and everthing is OK with the TV unplugged, I suspect the TV.

But, I would plug some other loads into the TV receptacle just to be sure.

If you still have a problem, "noise" on GFCI and especially AFCI circuits can, in rare instances, cause those devices to trip.
    Especially since that box is apparently just being used as a junction box and not a sub-panel.