+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: wiring outlets in a chain

I think that jumpering is OK between the duplexes in the quads, but pigtails to the first duplex in the quad. And you can jumper bottom to bottom if you want instead of bottom to top.

Quote Originally Posted by toh409 View Post
    thanks for all the great replies i learned a lot.

one other method i forgot to include for a "quad" is to feed from the top of outlet #1 jump from the bottom of # 1 to the bottom of #2 and feed out to the next on the line from the top of outlet #2. will this method also be acceptable?

assuming all the outlets are for convenience and will not all be used simultaneously for heavy load item whats the max number you would feel comfortable running on a chain?

also i have been advised by others that the practice of wrapping electrical tape around the wire nuts is amateur and should be avoided. i will have to guess that the same opinion holds true for wrapping the tape around the side of the outlets?

thanks
    It may be amateur , but it doesn't hurt at all to do it.
    I have a master electrician that still uses tape on wire nuts and receptacles after almost 40 years in the profession.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardHomes View Post
    It may be amateur , but it doesn't hurt at all to do it.
    I have a master electrician that still uses tape on wire nuts and receptacles after almost 40 years in the profession.
    It's suggested if the wire nut is a little small and allows some copper to show.

Wrapping a receptacle is sometimes done to prevent a screw from touching the wall of a metal box. Also, be sure to tighten un-used receptacle screws to prevent this.

Tape is used in many industrial applications, especially where vibration is present.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Extra safety is never amateurish.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

taping the outlet isnt amaturish i know quite a few electricians who do it it is not required by code anywhere as far as i know. but many electricians do it anyway especially in switch boxes with multiple switches that way down the road when you need to work on one switch you can do so without worring about touching the other ones. and i agree always tighten the unused screws i know that is code here in pa

Quote Originally Posted by junkout View Post
    taping the outlet isnt amaturish i know quite a few electricians who do it it is not required by code anywhere as far as i know. but many electricians do it anyway especially in switch boxes with multiple switches that way down the road when you need to work on one switch you can do so without worring about touching the other ones. and i agree always tighten the unused screws i know that is code here in pa
    Where in PA are you? The UL White Book allows stranded wire on almost all devices (switches and receptacles) from #14 to #10, as well as solid.

Also, I've learned (the hard way) it's wise to tighten the screws out of the way but didn't know of any jurisdiction who required it.

central pa i looked it up strand wire is ok and tightening the screw is a local code in one of the counties i work in i think there was a fire caused by a short to the box there.

Quote Originally Posted by junkout View Post
    central pa i looked it up strand wire is ok and tightening the screw is a local code in one of the counties i work in i think there was a fire caused by a short to the box there.
    good amendment