+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Refinishing wood floors

I live in a 100 year old "camp" cottage in Massachusetts. Each of the 2 stories has southern yellow pine medium-wide floor boards running from end to end. They look as though they've been sanded many many times. The floor plan on the first floor is wide open. After 10 years here we are desperate to refinish the natural wood floors downstairs as the finish has been worn down with heavy traffic. I don't have a garage or attic to put my furniture in so I will need to crowd it from one end of the house to the other as I work.

I am looking for the most efficient and least toxic smelling way to approach this project. I am not a big project person - I just want to put some kind of finish on the floor. I would love to NOT sand the whole thing down, but rather, wash and coat. However, I have no idea what is currently on the floors. Any ideas or advice? Thanks.

Default Re: Refinishing wood floors

First try cleaning an area with alcohol, if the finis dissolves you have shellac.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Refinishing wood floors

if it has a orange ish tinge its shellace also
    fire up the saw and make some dust