+ Reply to Thread

Default How to add bracing to joists above center beam

Hello,

I have an old two-flat circa 1890. All of the bracing between the joists in the basement has long been removed over the years so I'm adding it back. I know how to add them at the midpoints between the joists but I'm wondering if it's possible/smart to add over the main beam where the joists overlap.

I'd like to do this to add support and keep the joists from continuing to bow slightly and pull apart from each over the main beam. Does anyone have an experience/insights into such a task? I can attach pictures if that would be helpful.

Best,
    Andy

Default Re: How to add bracing to joists above center beam

instead of 1x3 bracing over the beam, add 2x blocking

thank you. this makes good sense. any tips on getting the blocking into place above the beam? i assume they will have to be slightly shorter than the 2X12 joists.

as stated use 2x blocking. get 2x thats as close to the joist thickness as possible.. however you may have pipes and wires in the way in those joist bays 2x4 may work better
    fire up the saw and make some dust

thank you, both.

only tip i can give you with getting them in place is to bevel one end. you'll cut one the exact length you need. then bevel one of the vertical ends on a 45 degree angle only removing about 3/4" of the 1-1/2" thickness of the board. this way you'll be able to pound it into place and there will still be plenty of meat left on the end to give you the support you need and something to nail or screw into.