+ Reply to Thread

Default how to treat/ remove a painted deck

Hi guys, I have a small painted deck that looks really bad especially in the high traffic areas and I always have to repaint it every year. Am thinking of removing the deck paint and then resealing the deck for a more lasting solution but am not sure if it will work. In this case, how will I remove the paint without damaging my deck further? After removing the paint, do I need to apply any special treatment before resealing? Kindly advice.

Default Re: how to treat/ remove a painted deck

1. You mentioned "small deck". Well, if the wood has ugly paint, consider flipping the top deck (turn it over) or replacing it.

2. Stripping paint off an old deck is time consuming and may not even be available, with unsatisfactory results in most cases.

3. If it were me, I'd replace the top lumber. Not because I have money to burn, but because I don't have time to waste. And I want nice results.

Send photos.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    3. If it were me, I'd replace the top lumber. Not because I have money to burn, but because I don't have time to waste. And I want nice results.
    Definitely this!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Replace it and DON'T paint it! Paint just does not hold up on typical deck construction. Either stain it or break the bank and put down synthetic decking.