+ Reply to Thread

Default Caulk around kitchen sink

I installed a new kitchen sink about 10 years ago. I caulked the small gap between the counter and sink when I dropped it in. About 5 or so years ago the caulk started getting black areas which I suspect is mold? I tried bleach and it's still black.
    So instead off pulling the sink and re-setting it I figured I'd try to take a razor blade and cut the old caulk away and redo it.
    Anybody have luck doing this,or do I have to pull the whole thing out again?
    Also is there a caulk less susceptible to mold/staining? I believe I used a high quality silicone.
    Thanks.

Default Re: Caulk around kitchen sink

i've done it many many times. time consuming but it can be done. they make silicon caulks made for kitchens and bathrooms that are mold resistant. it says it right on the tube so it shouldn't be hard to find. they carry it everywhere.

Thanks,I'll give it a shot then.

Get a hold of a small inexpensive grout remover. Sold in the box stores, wal-mart or internet.

With the help of this little hand tool your job can be easier and faster. Don't damage the counter top or the sink.

When the area is clean, dry and COMPLETELY mold free, use DAP kitchen & bath mold resistant caulk. If the mold returns, it's a sign that the area wasn't free of mold.

Sounds good. Actually one of my showers needs regrouting anyway.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
    Sounds good. Actually one of my showers needs regrouting anyway.
    Thanks.
    There you go, kill two birds in one shot.

I also wanted to mention that for tough spots in the old caulking you will need too use a utility knife as well. Don't score the counter top or the sink.