+ Reply to Thread

Default Tiling dilemma, help!!!

Hi all,

Newb here, hope someone can help. Ok, here's situation.... I live in a townhouse. I have started the process to begin tiling a small shower. I removed an old acrylic modular type shower. I was left with broken up drywall, which I removed from all 3 walls. As it turns out, theres something called a "party wall" which has to exist between two units of a townhouse. The neighbor has to have this party wall, and so do I. It has to be 5/8" type X fire grade drywall.
    Here's where my dilemma comes in. I have installed an acrylic shower pan which I intend to tile around. Since the back wall has to be the type X drywall, how can I waterproof this ????? BTW, this particular drywall is also mold resistant (purple). It's called **** Bond XP.

Can I Red guard the drywall, then screw the CBU to it and also Red Guard the CBU?

Right now the only thing installed is this purple party wall and the shower pan.
    Thanks for any help

Mike

Default Re: Tiling dilemma, help!!!

In the old days they used to cover the drywall with plastic moisture barrier of felt paper. This is the way I used to do it.
    The plastic/felt goes over the edge of the shower pan. You can staple it.
    Then attach CBU per instructions. You can red guard it or at least the bottom 2 feet. You are now ready to tile.

You can visit johnbridgetileforum for more ideas, information and details.

Yeh, I was thinking I might be able to do tar paper, felt or poly. But I was wondering how to attach it to the
    lip of the shower pan without putting holes in it. I was thinking I could bond it on somehow. If the water got through the grout, and through the cement board to the plastic/felt would it got through those staple holes and eventually make it to the studs?

If you are worried about water going thru staple holes, then cover the staples with some roofing cement.

Hehe, good idea. Nothing like a little over kill eh?

The reality is that you don't even have to cover the staples with roofing cement. Later you are going to create more holes (when you screw on the CBUs).

A tiled shower used on a daily basis will deteriorate, no matter how you build it, because of the constant presence of water. What do you do then? remodel every 10-15-20 years!

If you use Schluter system's Kerdi membrane you can apply that directly onto the (purple?) type x and tile directly, no need for CBU.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.