+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Water Filter for House or Kitchen

I've been trying to decide on a water filter. I have well water and am using a water softener and have a hot water on demand, water heater. A water technician, (Culligan), has told me that I have a lot of "solids" in my water and that I should get a water filter for the kitchen. I've been researching brands and the prices are really all over the place but all the companies say "they're the best". I'm also wondering if I should just get a whole house filter or if that will really decrease my rate of water flow.

Can anyone tell me the pro's and con's of a whole house system vs. just a kitchen unit? Also is there a brand that is better than others?

Final note, I've taken a water sample that is currently being reviewed by an independent lab, but regardless of whether our water is harmful or not, it has always had a slightly unpleasant taste that I would like to remedy.

thank you for any information!

Default Re: Water Filter for House or Kitchen

First, wait for the lab test results. Once you have them, you'll have some kind of a direction what to get.

I'm on city water and I use multiple filters:
    1. My fridge has a built in filter for the water and ice.
    2. I have a whole house filter right where the main water supply comes in mounted on the garage wall.
    3. I also have an under the kitchen sink filter on the cold water supply line.

Both filters (they were $30 and $20) are from the big store and they use generic filters ($5 each). I replace the whole house filter every 3 months and the kitchen filter every 4 months. No smelly or bad tasting water. In addition, I boil my drinking water from the cold side in the kitchen faucet - and I'm still alive.

This is why I've been confused. I've seen prices for $20, or $50 from Home Depot, and then I've gotten a quote for $8,000 from the company that installed my water softener and hot water on demand system. Then I had a local well company propose that I get an iron filter, ($2,000) plus a kitchen filter, ($300). Then Culligan quoted me $900 for a kitchen filter and I've seen whole house filter from other water companies around $1000.

My water test should be back in a few days, but that still leaves me wondering what is better, a whole house or a kitchen filter and how much should I expect to spend for a good system?

Wink Re: Water Filter for House or Kitchen

I'm also on well water. I have a simple whole house filter that I installed a few feet away from where the main line comes into the house. It cost me about $30 as I remember and I change the filter about 4-5 times a year,about $5 apiece,as dj1 mentioned. It does cut down a little on water pressure,but not to the point where it is a problem. If I need to fill my in ground pool in the spring for example,I usually remove the filter,otherwise it's not a problem.
    I also have a water softener. I bypassed the kitchen sink's cold water though. I did this because I prefer the taste of the natural well water. So I drink out of the kitchen sink. My family though does not like the well water taste. I considered putting a separate filter under the kitchen sink,and then using a charcoal filter. My wife in the mean time bought a pitcher with it's own filter in it,that we keep in the refrigerator. This is what the family (besides me)uses for their drinking water.
    You might want to try that first,it might save you $7950.

Don't you see that these companies are trying to rip you off?

Install a cheap ($20-50) whole-house filter and install a sediment cartridge. The cartridges are available in various grades, from 20 micron down to 5 micron. The smaller the micron number, the smaller the particles it can trap; but also the smaller grades will plug up and need to be replaced sooner.

If you hire a plumber, expect to pay another $100-150 for installation, and perhaps up to $100 for a permit.

After that's installed see what the results are. Then you can decide if more expensive treatments are necessary.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Thank you Fencepost. That sounds like logical advice.

Not to say that one needs to buy the most expensive piece of equipment for good results, but you also want to think that there is a difference between a $30, and $200 piece of equipment. At one point I thought a paint brush was a paint brush until my inexpensive $5, brush had me scraping bristle hairs off my wall.