+ Reply to Thread

Default Opaque interior stain?

I just had a red oak handrail installed on my staircase and applied a coat of minwax stain. I suddenly realized that the two pieces that made up the railing had different grain patterns! Since that looks bad, I wanted to see if there is such thing as an opaque interior stain that I could use to get the color I want while hiding the grain on both pieces. I called a local Sherwin Williams, and I was told that the only solution would be to use an exterior stain. Does anyone know of an alternative solution? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Opaque interior stain?

Tulsan,

There is such a thing as interior opague stain - it is called paint!

Seriously, you might consider a product such as Minwax PolyShades. This is a urethane varnish with color in suspension in it. It acts as stain and varnish in one. However, since the color is in the varnish, every additional coat darkens and masks the grain somewhat. A couple of the darker colors mask considerably, Bombay Mahogany is one of them.

You will need a good china bristle brush to lay it out evenly. If a single coat gives satisfactory results, you can then switch to clear urethane for additional protection. This is a good idea on a handrail, since the varnish will eventually wear through if not given sufficient thickness.

Find a retailer that has ZAR-brand stains.

This is a very highly pigmented regular wood-stain. You can leave this stuff as hazy or opaque as you'd like.
    IF you're brave, you can try "re-graining" (using maybe small artist-brushes) a transition area, to diffuse the abrupt change. You may need 2 colors to complete his "fade"!

Faron

zar is good stain but sherwin williams stain is even better. but the problem i see is that no matter how dark you stain it you will still see the grain of the oak

Benjamin Moore and others make "brushng" stains. these are heavy bodied stains which are designed to be brushed on evenly and then just left, not wiped. This obviously obscures much of the underlying wood grain. It is then clear coated when dry with varnish.