+ Reply to Thread

Default Smartphone App to diagnose appliance problems by listening

On a recent Ask TOH (Season 11, Episode 20) right near the end Richard Trethewey talked about smartphone apps which can diagnose appliance problems just by the sound the appliance makes. I am unable to find these apps, does anyone have any details such as the names and if they work on iPhone, Android, etc. Thanks.

Default Re: Smartphone App to diagnose appliance problems by listening

I just repaired a Hotpoint fridge which was making howling sound. It was the circuit board and GE-Hotpoint sent me a new one free of charge (the fridge is 9 years old - it retails for $250).

Don't wait for a smart phone to diagnose your problem, call a tech.

I saw the episode and it appeared to me that you have to put the appliance into "diagnostic mode" where it transmits digital diagnostic data via sound like a modem. Your iPad listens to this sound and decodes it back to digital data which it then presents to you in a friendly format.

It doesn't actually diagnose that funny kaLunk-vzhhh sound your dishwasher started making last night.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Thank guys for your quick replies. I agree that often it is best to get a tech. Fortunately all my appliances are just fine, I just wanted to learn more about these apps, so if anyone has any details that would be very interesting. Thanks.

I was wondering if anyone had any more details?

Why doesn't the show post that information on the site? I find it irritating to say the least. I have done enough searching on this item and others to be frustrated by their lack of concern or inability to finish the job.

Thumbs up Re: Smartphone App to diagnose appliance problems by listening

Quote Originally Posted by bansod View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had any more details?
    Here's the app; it is proprietary technology from LG for LG washers. Learn more here.

W0w! An actual moderator checking out the forum?!?!???

Maybe if they'd do it more often, we wouldn't need stupid spam controls that block innocuous words and let the spammers through anyway.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.