+ Reply to Thread

Question Installing heated mat in shower

I'm planning on installing a heated tile floor in my bathroom redo. I'd like to have the shower floor heated also, is there a problem or a safety concern with using the wire mat under the concrete base used for the shower pan?

Default Re: Installing heated mat in shower

My question is why? I can see it in the bathroom but not in the shower floor.

John

The entire bathroom is only 5' X 5' so i just planned to do the floor where someone would be standing, hence, the shower floor included.

I would think that when you're standing in the shower the hot water would be on and there would be no need for a heated floor. You're looking for trouble putting a mat under the shower floor.
    John

i can't imagine an electrical mat being allowed in any electrical code book in a shower.

but it could be done with hot water from the furnace in a radiant floor. i just don't see the point of it and i would expect potential problems.

I agree, it's not a good idea.

We, in Southern California, are actually looking for something to cool our floors in the hot summers.

Thanks to all that responded. I've taken the heated shower floor out of the equation, just going to heat the floor outside of the shower and in front of the commode. Tile floors in Pennsylvania can be pretty cold in the winter.

Rich

In episode 7 of the Cambridge project, they used radiant heat under the shower floor, but I think it was hydronic and not electric. As I watched that episode where they used a styrofoam shower pan, I though it was odd to have a heated floor covered by a pretty effective insulation. Seems like you would want the insulation under the radiant heat, not on top of it.