+ Reply to Thread

Question Basement Drain to Sump Pump?

I have a sump pump in my below grade basement. It pumps water that gathers below the cellar floor to a pipe that discharges 40-50 feet away from the house. It usually does a good job of keeping the cellar dry but I still have an occasional water problem.

About 16 feet away from sump pump, there is an opening in my poured concrete foundation for a bulkhead door. The interface between the foundation and the pre-cast bulkhead door steps leaks during heavy rains. The water that leaks by this joint seeps across the threshold onto the cellar floor and eventually gets into the sump. So, no major flooding but a nuisance none the less. I use a wet-vac every couple of hours during long hard rains to keep the surface water from invading too much of the basement (part of the basement is finished, but not the part I'm talking about here).

My bright idea is to put a floor drain near the bulkhead door opening to allow the water that leaks in to drain down to the gravel layer beneath the concrete floor. My hope is that anything that goes into the new drain will makes it way to the sump. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Al

Default Re: Basement Drain to Sump Pump?

As long as there is gravel under the entire floor it should make its way to the sump pump. But if it's a large amount of water in a short period of time it can backup. If that happens a pipe will be needed from the floor drain to the sump pit.
    John