+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Tongue Groove Porch Fix or Rebuild?

Jack's right, the pine you found at HD is not for decks. You can use it for eaves - a protected place. In a previous answer I mentioned CEDAR t&g. Treated pine will be good too. There are other types that will be fine for a deck, all of which are rated for outdoor use.

You need to go to lumber outlets, AKA lumberyards. Look them up at the phone book or google. Places like 84 LUMBER, STOCK LUMBER or similar.

Hi,
    1) I would not go back with wide boards, use regular 1x4 T&G.
    2) pine nowadays is hopeless as an exterior wood, so use a decent material like mahogany if you value the labor at all and don't want to replace it again in 8 years.
    Our hardwood dealer stocks 3/4x4" mahogany flooring, but we just rebuilt a 30' front porch with5/4 mahogany that they milled for us.
    We have also installed 3/4" Ipe T&G flooring on porches but that's overkill and an unnecessary expense IMO.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

hi Guys, thanks for your input. I should have mentioned that the back porch is covered. It is exposed however on 3 sides. I'm sure I'm cheaping out by looking at that pine that I showed you, the only thing is my wife and I want to put in an addition one day where the porch currently is, I would say in 5-7 years.

5-7 years fly by so fast these days, why worry about a couple of rotten planks if the deck is going down?

Some of the planks are borderline for standing on them. Also where the steps are looks like crap. Most importantly, the basement hatch (built into porch) is also dicey.

Just replace the few damaged boards, use treated timber and paint them to match existing decking