+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tongue Groove Porch Fix or Rebuild?

Hi all,
    I am a new homeowner in an old house circa 1890. the back porch has old tongue and groove on it...looks like 5" .75"....the total size of the porch is about 12 foot by 12 foot..a few the boards have rotted and need to be replaced...my questions are how much do you think it would be to replace the whole porch in a similar tongue and groove flooring? also do they have this stuff at any of the big box stores?

One of the issues we have is we do not want to spend a lot of money on the back porch because one day we will put in an addition and the porch will not be there anymore.

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Tongue Groove Porch Fix or Rebuild?

Just a guess but I would say between $700 and $800 to redo the whole porch floor. If it only has a couple of bad boards I would consider just replacing them. You will probably have to go to a lumber yard to get PT T&G yellow pine boards.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I would say that T&G deck/flooring is a specialty item that a big box isn't likely to have. Call around to a few lumberyards and specialty trim shops. If you've got a supplier who specializes in vintage home materials or salvage, try them first.

I'm with Jack, I would replace just the few boards that need replacing, it will be far easier and cheaper than redoing the whole deck. If you go this route, we can tell you how to replace the boards with little effort.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks guys. I assume that costs guess was strictly for material. Appreciate your help.

$700-800 will be for labor and a couple of planks. Generous.

to clarify, trying to get an educated guess on just the materials (tongue and groove pine or similar)for a 12x12 porch. thx.

1x6x16 cedar t&g runs less than $20. Check lumber outlets near you for precise price.

Replacing a few planks is something a handyman or a DIYer can do, with the help of some basic tools.

Since you mentioned that you will not stay in this house very long, don't invest heavily on something a potential buyer will tear down. But go ahead and replace those few planks.

The guess was for material @ $5/sq ft. 12 X12 is 144 sq ft. dj1 puts the material cost at about $2.50/sq ft. It has been a while since I bought any but I used 1X6 treated yellow pine.

Jack

thanks guys.

so i was at home depot just now (forgot wallet-awesome) and i saw Pine in the same measurements as my porch, even in the 12 foot lengths.

am i stupid for using pine on this covered porch? it was around $8 per length so i estimate it costing under $250, plus the $$ to seal, prime and paint....

Product was similar to this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2020170...9#.UUoicGe1fG8

Whitewood is not hard enough or durable enough for use as a floor. Chances are it won't last more than a couple of years at best. I personally wouldn't waste the time needed to install it..

Jack