+ Reply to Thread

Default New Staircase/No Wall

Hi All,

Last week I had a new staircase put into my home providing access from the 1st to 2nd floor of the house.

Beneath the old staircase was a wall that divided my living room from the basement staircase but the wall was old and not supported properly (would sway if leaned on) so we took it down during the removal of the old staircase).

Now that we have the new staircase we also have a large space with no wall and i am trying to build up a new one so it will align properly with the staircase, but i have never framed a wall along the underside of a staircase before and I have some questions i am hoping can be answered.

1). What would I screw the frame header into? I am a bit concerned about using the stair stringer as it may split (or maybe I ma being paranoid).
    2). As you can see in Pic #2 the frame of the stringer does not go straight up the side from floor to ceiling, it turns in around the 7th or 8th riser and the frame may not be flush going from floor to ceiling.

As I said i never built a wall frame for a staircase and have no ideas here on how a wall should look for a staircase like mine so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

NOTE: I paid enough for the stairs, so doing this on my own would be key if I can :-)

Thanks

Pictures below: (remove the * from http below)

h*ttp://temp-share.com/show/f3YgutWQn
    h*ttp://temp-share.com/show/YgFH6Bqoy

Default Re: New Staircase/No Wall

A new wall can be attached directly onto the stringer. When framing, make sure you leave 1/2" space for a 1/2" drywall.

1. Attach a sill plate (a piece of 2x4) the length of the opening at the base. Do the same for a top plate and attach it to the stringer. Again, allow space for drywall.
    2. Cut studs - straight at the bottom, angled at the top), place them 16" o.c. and fasten them to the plates. If you are concerned about splitting wood, drill pilot holes first.
    3. Cut and attach drywall to the studs. Finish where the drywall meets the stringer with molding.
    4. finish the drywall (prime and paint).

I forgot to mention:

Regarding where the wall goes in: treat it like a corner, that means, drywall the stud in picture #2 like you do a corner with a corner bead.

If you have never built walls, or don't have the right tools, call a handyman.

thank you dj1. I will look over your answer and reply back if I have any further questions.

Also, I have built wall frames before, just not for stairs, so these new tasks while adding to my knowledge are always a little tricky and time consuming in the beginning (that and having the wife nagging me to get the wall up doesn't help either), lol...

There is nothing we can do about wives.

Tell her it will be done by thanksgiving. Just don't mention the year.