Poll: The Best Brad Nails Are:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Brad Nails Recommendation

Yesterday I bought my first brad nailer. You can see it here:

http://www.hitachipowertools.ca/en/P...cat=29&pid=254

My first job with it will be to install some Wainscoting. I want to use really good brads with this nailer, but I don't know one brand from another.

What brads have you guys had really good luck with?

(poll is multiple choice so you can choose all your favorites)
    Last edited by MyMilan; 03-19-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Default Re: Brad Nails Recommendation

In my Senco gun I have shot Senco, Craftsman, Porter Cable, and whatever the generic stuff is at Harbor Freight. All brands pass through my gun without problem and I've not noticed any difference in holding power of the fastener from one brand to another. I generally use whatever is most readily available at time of purchase.

Don't forget with your new gun to get gun oil and add a few drops before each day of use, depending on how much you use the gun. The oil not only keeps the piston, seals, and mechanicals lubricated, it prevents rust from the moist air that passes through the gun, because compressed air drops out the moisture that collects in your air tank and hoses. Also don't forget to drain your tank and hoses periodically.

When you oil your gun, it is best to remove the nails, add 3 to 5 drops of oil, then fire the gun 12 to 20 times, then wipe the gun down. This is to blow the oil and residue out before you start your nailing project. It will prevent oil staining of the materials you're working with and possible finish adhesion issues.

Enjoy your new gun, let us know how it goes.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Question Re: Brad Nails Recommendation

Thanks for the tips!

I looked for oil but couldn't find any. Is this a special grade of oil, or is it called something different?

You know, I've only ever bought one bottle, years ago. I can tell you that it's Campbell Hausfeld brand, other than that . . . It is a lightweight oil, not sure of what properties it has that may be engineered specifically for air tools. With a little research, you may find a suitable alternative.

You should be able to buy air tool oil any place that sells air tools, as most need to be lubricated.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I have 5 nailers and only one is oil less. I can find small amounts at the big box stores where the nails are sold for guns. I put a drop or two in the nailer each time I get it out to use it. That could be weeks or even months and years with the flooring nailer.

i typically buy paslode nails as i use paslode finish nailers.. most of senco's newer guns are lacking in the reliability department. though their 15 gauge oil less works well. i use senco stainless steel nails for exterior purposes.. the galvanized ones dont last like they should and they bleed in cedar along with azec hence using ss

dewalt, bostich and paslode are all the same nail.. black and decker would never shell out the money to have all 3 of their brands making separate nails
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Question Re: Brad Nails Recommendation

I always thought the galvanized ones were for using outside (so they wouldn't be effected by the weather) and the stainless steel ones were for using inside.

I'm going to be basically using this for putting up wainscoting upstairs and for kitchen cabinets. Should I be using the stainless steel brads?

Also, I have a big industrial compressor (looks like a water heater) in my garage, but I'd need around 200 feet of hose to use the nailer upstairs. Would I be better off to get a small (1/3 Horsepower, 3 Gallon, 100 PSI) pancake compressor to use with this nailer? Hose is much cheaper than a new compressor but my worry is that the air pressure will drop too much over those long lengths. Does that sound right?

I would say that if you'll have a use for a smaller compressor, go that route, otherwise, just buy a few lengths of hose. There will be a negligible drop in pressure with the added hose length, not enough to notice. Your gun will run around 85 - 95 psi, well below the typical 125 psi limit of most compressors, so you will have ample pressure left at the compressor to get the nailer to operate the way you need.

What I would recommend is to get a secondary regulator and install it at the back of the gun or between the last two sections of hose, this will allow you to adjust the pressure as needed without trekking all the way back to the garage to change it. Use quick-connects on the secondary regulator to be able to move/remove it as necessary.

for a long run like that simply buying a 50` 3/8" hose will help. it will allow more air to get to the tool. its the standard hose to use on a framing job where its extremely common to have to run a hose upwards of 150'
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Hi,
    The only problem I have ever had (over 20+ years) with finish nails happened using generic nails in a paslode trim gun. the generics had a very heavy tape/varnish holding the nails together, which managed to jam up the Paslode. Switching to paslode nails for that gun fixed the issue. I can see where this would be a potential problem with other guns,too.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.