+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why tile in front of entry door?

Hello All,

My wife and I are going to replace the carpet in out townhouse with new laminate wood click flooring. My question is about the entry door area. Currently their is vinyl (sheet) 4x6 flooring that mimics stone.

Do I just eliminate the vinyl flooring and run the new laminate right up to the door?

Should keep the vinyl? Replace the vinyl with real tile?

Thanks in advance
    Red

Default Re: Why tile in front of entry door?

The point of a solid surface at the front door is to help minimize carpet wear and to provide a "dirt break", where incoming dirt has a chance to stop before it is tracked through the house. Since you're putting new hard flooring throughout, it doesn't matter if you maintain a different type of entry flooring or carry the whole house to the front door.

When I installed hardwood in my house, I pulled the original tile entry and ran the wood all the way to the door. It made for a cleaner look, and ease of maintenance, having one flooring type throughout. IMHO, this type of installation looks better, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

With laminate or hardwood, I usually run them to the door, as spruce says.

With carpet, I usually lay tiles in front of the door, for the reasons spruce mentioned and also to have a safe place to dry your shoes if they are wet, on a rainy day.

i agree with both of them. however, alot of poeple will have the same flooring at the front door as in the rest of the nearby area, but many people choose to install tile in the most commonly used entrance, mudroom, side door, etc.

it's really a matter of personal taste, if you only use your front door to greet guests there's no need for that added protection that tile will give you. if you live in a snowy, muddy, rainy climate you might want to consider something other than wood at your most commonly used entrance but again, it's personal taste.

If I lived in a really wet or snowy climate, I think I would be a little leery of laminate or hardwood flooring right to the front door. Nothing is more damaging to such flooring as is water.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    If I lived in a really wet or snowy climate, I think I would be a little leery of laminate or hardwood flooring right to the front door. Nothing is more damaging to such flooring as is water.

It's funny how your location can dictate common practices. You're right, as was MLB, that wet/snow locations should have a more durable entry surface. Dj and I are both Californicators, so we don't have such things to worry about.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    It's funny how your location can dictate common practices. You're right, as was MLB, that wet/snow locations should have a more durable entry surface. Dj and I are both Californicators, so we don't have such things to worry about.
    Spruce,

Just FYI, we had 5" of rain this winter. It does get wet around here.

Hi,
    I did stone tile at my back door, because it made more sense, it's where I enter with muddy garden boots, etc., and the pine floor finish would wear out there pretty fast. Plus, heart pine is more expensive than marble!

Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

I'm in northern Florida, so snow is not an issue.
    It does get rather wet and rainy in what passes for winter.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Spruce,

Just FYI, we had 5" of rain this winter. It does get wet around here.
    Yes, but that is nothing compared to the northern coastal states or the midwest and eastern snow. I'm sure I get more rain than you do, and I'd still run wood all the way to the door.