Poll: Should I drain my steam boiler?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread

Default To Drain My Boiler or Not to Drain My Boiler? That is the question.

My oil company technician recently came over to do an annual cleaning of our steam boiler and told me it is not necessary to drain the boiler of dirty water (since it will not remove any of the water that is caked on the internal parts, anyway). He actually said it is more harmful to bring fresh water into the plumbing because it introduces more minerals that break down the cast iron pipes.

This conflicts information I've heard from other technicians. One told me to drain a gallon of water once per week, another told me to completely drain the system once per month.

What is the right answer here?

Last edited by erikhaan; 04-26-2009 at 02:35 PM.

Default Re: To Drain My Boiler or Not to Drain My Boiler? That is the question.

What is the point of posting a poll to everybody and anybody? Find a plumber that your going to deal with and trust his advice. Draining a gallon of sludge water bi-weekly, monthly is healthier for the boiler than whatever minerals are going to drop out of the water you replace. At the end or beginning of the season drain, flush and fill the system. The concern would be if your adding 20 gallons a month to the system.

Shaun

If your boiler had a float type low water cutoff you would flush it once a week during the heating season and once a month during the non-heating season. You have an electronic low water cutoff. Once a year the sensor should be removed and cleaned.

A good boiler additive should help the boiler stay cleaner and make sure you produce dry steam, which is more efficient.

So I guess you're saying I don't need to drain or flush at all (except during the annual cleaning). Is this correct?

Also, what is this boiler additive? Are there different kinds?

Thanks!
    Erik