+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy 1911 bathroom walls

My 1911 home's main bath has plaster walls with original tile scoring on the lower half. The plaster, while it has a couple cracked places seems sound and well attached yet. It has been painted and was even papered (upper). I have stripped paper and nearly all the paint down to what I think is the first layer or 2 which seems to me to be a yellowed layer of white --maybe milk-based? Or maybe it's the aged surface of the plaster--I can't tell.Having trouble stripping a few areas and am worried about how to prepare rest to be painted. I've thought about covering the bottom with beadboard, but wonder if the plaster will hold. Can't afford to remove and start over. I'm stuck for what do do next. I have limited funds to spend, but HAVE to finish it somehow! HELP, please?!!I am open to suggestions!

Default Re: 1911 bathroom walls

In the time period your bath room walls were plastered they would have used a product called Keene Cement that was used for shower and bath room walls.
    This product is an off white maybe a slight yellow due to a small amount of sand that may have been added.
    If your cracks are small and defects are small you can use BONDO like you find in the Auto repair section at auto parts store.
    Repair cracks and small dings only.
    Sand to match existing area prime and paint.
    I think oil based was used orginally in showers and bath areas.

Default Re: 1911 bathroom walls

That ounds like my plaster. Thanks for the info!