+ Reply to Thread

Default Toilet 'runs' for about 3 seconds after water run anywhere in the house

Within the last few months I have had issues with our master toilet. When I run water elsewhere in the house, (pretty much anywhere: sink, toilet, shower, etc), when I turn the water back off the toilet upstairs runs for about 3 seconds.

I can't pinpoint exactly when the problem started, but around the same time it started I flushed out the hot water heater and I adjusted a venting leak around the drain pipe in the basement. Other than that, I am at a loss with this one.

Default Re: Toilet 'runs' for about 3 seconds after water run anywhere in the house

I don't see the connection between your faucets and the toilet.

A toilet tank works on very simple and basic principles. If you are experiencing some difficulties, or your tank is behaving badly, it may be a good time to check it out and give it a tune up.

Internal parts for a toilet tank are not very expensive. Start by replacing the flapper jack.

Default Re: Toilet 'runs' for about 3 seconds after water run anywhere in the house

try setting the water level in your tank lower. there should be a mark that says water level. usually about an inch below flush tube. You might have high water pressure in your house.

I couldn't really think of a connection either other than perhaps a pressure issue. I will look into the tank and see if there is an issue there. Thank you for the replies!

Replace the fill unit in the toilet, is has weakened enough to allow back flow.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I agree with Jack.

You have a defective toilet fill valve that is either mis-adjusted too low, or doesn't have an anti-siphon valve, or the anti-siphon valve is shot, causing any drop in house water pressure (when another tap is opened) to reduce water pressure at the toilet supply line & suck some water out of the toilet tank; the refill valve responds by refilling the toilet tank---this is dangerous because it can pollute your drinking supply under certain conditions---most new toilet fill valves sold by Fluidmaster & others have a built-in anti-siphon valve as a code requirement in most areas----you'll also run up a big water bill, so you have to fix this as soon as possible.

http://www.toiletology.com/anti-sph.shtml
    http://millardlumber.com/HowTo/rtoliet/toilet.htm
    http://www.ci.bloomington.mn.us/hand.../53ytoilet.pdf
    Last edited by von_steuben; 03-20-2013 at 07:33 AM.

I have a slightly different spin. Replace the flapper. Your flapper isn't making a good seal and is allowing a small amount of water to seep out. Eventually the fill valve lets make-up water in. When nearing the point where the valve would open to admit more water if you open a faucet elsewhere in the house the pressure change will "bump" the valve into opening right then.

I really don't see how the pipe pressure could ever get low enough for a fill valve to siphon water from the tank (not bowl as suggested above--there's an air gap between tank & bowl that would prevent this unsafe condition).
    Last edited by guy48065; 03-19-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Checking a flapper valve is easy, just dump some food coloring into the tank and see if the color leaks into the bowl.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb