+ Reply to Thread

Default Valve to Switch Gas Fireplace starter

My aunt is thinking of buying a mobile home that has a gas fireplace, but it has a valve that you have to turn to light it and my aunt can't get down on her hands and knees and would like for it to be converted to a light switch. I have friends who have gas fireplaces that came with the switch but I'm wondering if you can convert a valve one. I am also wondering how much you think on average the project would cost for a professional to come in. Thank You

Default Re: Valve to Switch Gas Fireplace starter

Not sure about cost, but the best thing would be to go to a fireplace shop and price a new gas log set with remote. The manual switched logs can't be converted.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

It would not be too difficult to install a piezo style starter to ones gas furnace, similar to a gas grill.

But, I doubt if a gas company or an electrician would try to modify the appliance for liability reasons.

Once the pilot is lighted it should stay light, unless the gas runs out or is turned off.

This design has been around for decades and short of replacing the appliance it would be very expensive to modify and get listed by a National Recognized Testing Laboratory (NTRL), like UL, to be legal.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

What you're asking still exists, and is perfectly legal in my city, but it's used in floor heating.

Basically, you will use a "heating only" thermostat (which is really a switch) to light up a burner which sits in the crawl space. The fire comes on with the help of the pilot light. Gas supply has a gas valve, to which the two leads from the thermostat go.

Talk to old time plumbers near you, to see if they can do the same for your fireplace. The only problem I see is the pilot light being on all the time.

Semi and dj1, the OP said fireplace not furnace, with a manual control.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Semi and dj1, the OP said fireplace not furnace, with a manual control.

Jack
    Yes he did but my answer remains the same. IMO no professional would take on the risk of modifying a listed appliance.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by The Semi-Retired Electric View Post
    Yes he did but my answer remains the same. IMO no professional would take on the risk of modifying a listed appliance.
    Agreed, replace the log unit.

Jack